Military Brides

Military names?

What should I put on the program to acknowlegde the military members in our bridal party.. for example..
Wedding Party
Sergeant Joe Shmoe
Seaman John Doe

I would like to put there branch on there too like Marines, Navy but I'm not in the millitary and don't know abbreviation etiquette.

Has anyone had expierence with this?

Re: Military names?

• edited December 2011
    For the Navy, it would be appropriate to put their Rate&Rank. Like Personally I'm an AZ3 (for Aviation Admin 3rd Class Petty Officer) So for Seaman John Doe, depending on his rate you could put BMSN John Doe (USN) for Boatswains Mate Seaman. Does that make sense? I know, Its kinda confusing to people not in the military. The Marines are different, they just go by their Rank, My FI is Corporal Luke Whatever.. or you could just put Cpl, Sgt, Pvt, Pfc, SSgt (USMC) ya know?  do you know all the ranks for your military party members? I know the Marines & the Navy so if you have any more questions about that feel free to ask! I'm not as familiar with the Army & Air Force, but I'd love to help!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jeffsteph1207jeffsteph1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If I were you, I would just ask the bridal party member.  That person would know best what their title/rank is and the best way to announce it in a program. It might offend them if its wrong. I'm in the Army and personally, it would offend me if someone announced my rank wrong without even making an attempt to ask me how it should be. Each branch has their own special way of addressing rank, there's no central way of doing it. I'm not familiar with the other branches, however I am currently deployed and work with at least one person from the Air Force, Navy and Marines,  so if you need help let me know and I'll ask one of them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • bajafaithbajafaith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oh man! Thank you both so much! It is very confusing. But you are very right I do NOT want to offend anyone. You guys work hard and sacrifice much, I want to make sure I do it right and give respect. I think I have my seaman and sergeant right, they will double check it. The only one left that I'm not sure is right is and can't get ahold of him to ask is -

USN YNC (retd) Ronald D.
    Do you know if that is right?

• edited December 2011

if he's a retired yeoman chief, than You Got It!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bajafaithbajafaith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THANK YOU!!
  • kallenlckallenlc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is an awesome book called Service Etiquette (several editions of it available now) that has a wealth of knowledge about everything from weddings, addressing invitations, & even dinner parties. I have my FI's version that they gave him at the Academy & it has been a godsend! You can get it on amazon too. 
  • billman2billman2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For some reason this got me thinking....

Are you addressing your bridesmaids as Ms Jane Doe, or Mrs. so and so?? and if there are any men in the wedding program that is not in the military, will you say Mr. so and so?  If not, I think it would look weird if you put ranks.  Just my opinion though.

We didn't include any ranks in our actual program but we also just did first and last name of everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards