Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Serving Bowl Suggestions

We are planning a vineyard wedding for under 200 people and are planning to serve dinner "family style." We have 2 pasta dishes planned so we would need 2 serving bowls per table (at least). Our venue has both 60" and 72" tables so there would be 8-10 people at each table. Would a 64-oz bowl be big enough? Would a heavy plastic bowl from a party supply store be durable enough to hold hot pasta? These are not supplied by our caterer or venue and I don't want to spend a lot on them. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Re: Serving Bowl Suggestions

• Options
    I'd hit up the Goodwill and/or Dollar store to look for something glass or ceramic.  I'd be really hesitant to use any disposable plastic options - I'd worry the heat would melt the plastic coating and they'd fall apart under the weight.
  • Options
    I think you'd want ceramic bowls, not so much for the melting problem, but they will keep food warm the longest.

I'd ask your caterer who they would recommend to supply them. You don't have to buy them, you can rent them. Are you renting table covers, chairs, tables or anything else?

Even if you are having family style for the other dishes, if it's too hard to find very large bowls to buy or rent within your price range, the pasta could still be set up in chafing dishes (if this is your only hot food) buffet style due to the room two large bowls would take up on the tables, along with the other plates that are being passed.

If you do choose to buy them, I agree that re-sale stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army would be your best bet.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Check out restaurant supply stores.  Basic white ceramic dishes are usually very, very inexpensive there.   

This site has 72 oz glass bowls for 69.99/case (12 in a case).  They're sold out right now, but I am sure that other similar sites have bulk prices too. 
  • Options
    Check Old Time Pottery. I got mine for around $5 each.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards