Moms and Maids

Having two different colors for bridemaids dresses?

I am getting married in June of 2012 and I am having 6 bridemaids who are all very different heights and shapes! Because of that, I am leaning toward having each one wear a different dress that looks best for their body type.

I've talked to one of the bridemaids about it and I wasn't sure how to decide who wears what dress, and she suggested to have them do like a "top 5" out of the dresses that I like, and then divy them up that way so that each girl has a different dress. That seemed to be a good idea. Any other ideas on how to select different dresses for each girl?

Originally, I was going to have them all wear the exact same color but a different dress, but now I think it might be neat to have 3 wear one of my main colors and the other 3 wear the other color. Has anyone done this? What do you think?

My two main wedding colors are turquoise and a soft pastel yellow (I think the designer I am going to go with calls it "buttercup").

I've had a really hard time finding the turquoise color I have envisioned in my head (lol) but so far the best has been from Mori Lee that I can get through my bridal shop. So if you want to check out the colors, here is a link to one of the bridesmaid dresses I am considering: www.morilee.com/bridesmaids/bridesmaids/292">http://www.morilee.com/bridesmaids/bridesmaids/292

Any and all comments would be super!

*Brittany*

Re: Having two different colors for bridemaids dresses?

• edited December 2011
    Whoa, that's weird. The edges of my post are cut off. Not sure if that's just on my end, but I'll try again just in case:

I am getting married in June of 2012 and I am having 6 bridemaids who are all very different heights and shapes! Because of that, I am leaning toward having each one wear a different dress that looks best for their body type.

I've talked to one of the bridemaids about it and I wasn't sure how to decide who wears what dress, and she suggested to have them do like a "top 5" out of the dresses that I like, and then divy them up that way so that each girl has a different dress. That seemed to be a good idea. Any other ideas on how to select different dresses for each girl?

Originally, I was going to have them all wear the exact same color but a different dress, but now I think it might be neat to have 3 wear one of my main colors and the other 3 wear the other color. Has anyone done this? What do you think?

My two main wedding colors are turquoise and a soft pastel yellow (I think the designer I am going to go with calls it "buttercup").

I've had a really hard time finding the turquoise color I have envisioned in my head (lol) but so far the best has been from Mori Lee that I can get through my bridal shop. So if you want to check out the colors, here is a link to one of the bridesmaid dresses I am considering: www.morilee.com/bridesmaids/bridesmaids/292" target="_blank">http://www.morilee.com/bridesmaids/bridesmaids/292

Any and all comments would be super!
    *Brittany*

• edited December 2011

I too have BMs who are all different shapes, sizes, and heights. We all decided that they could pick their own dress withing the guidelines of same designer, same color, and same length. You could try it in different colors. I know I've seen pictures somewhere of BM dresses in different colors.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    If they are going to be different styles, than stick with the same color & designer.  If they want different colors, than it should be the same style.

Other ways you'll have different colors and different styles...and who will know that they are in the same wedding.  This is very had to carry off.
  • edited December 2011
    I also had 6 BM's. 3 wore the aqua/pool color and the other 3 wore regency/purple. I think it looked great. There are some pics in my bio.

OP - I don't know if you have already asked your WP since you are over a year away from your wedding, but if I might make a suggestion, I would wait until you are about 6-9 months away to ask anyone.
  • KateG528KateG528 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as the dresses that are one color are the same designer/material and the other color dresses are the same designer/material it should be fine to have two colors, however you dont want to have "2" colors but have different material and end  up with like 4 different shades.

Also you have over a year to decide so just take your time, look around and dont fret too much right now, you have plenty of time. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_having-two-different-colors-bridemaids-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:79166791-c31c-4fe6-898e-7d45f40b132ePost:794deda4-942c-4add-a974-f5de0b85a608">Re: Having two different colors for bridemaids dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If they are going to be different styles, than stick with the same color & designer.  <strong>If they want different colors, than it should be the same style. Other ways you'll have different colors and different styles...and who will know that they are in the same wedding.  This is very had to carry off.</strong>
    Posted by ChrislovesBarry[/QUOTE]

<div>I disagree with this. I am pretty sure people will be able to tell who the BMs are when they are standing next to the bride. </div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • arizonateaarizonatea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing two different colors: sage green and chocolate brown. My BM also have way different body shapes. I'm letting them pick their own dresses but I told them the designer, length and I gave each girl a color depending on what would look best with her skin tone.
    If the length is the same, I think diff colors and styles still looks okay.
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think doing two colors is fine, but make sure that they'll like the color they're in.  If 5 of them want to be in teal and only one like the yellow that could be tricky (unless the one is your MOH, in which case I guess you can make it work).  And at least in my group of BMs yellow was specifically requested as a 'please dont' color b/c of a lot of fair skin. 

Also, I think different styles are fine, but I don't think you need SIX.  If two girls like the same dress, let them have the same dress!  You want them to be cohesive, but honestly no one will notice if two are in halters, three are in strapless, and one is in spaghetti straps.  Pick the designer, material and length and let them be.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm thinking of doing sort of a similar thing, but with the same style dresses.  My colors will be purple and yellow, and I'm going to have most of the bridesmaids in purple, and then my moh (sister) and fiance's best "man" (his sister) will be wearing the same style dresses in yellow.  I think it could be tough to keep it looking coordinated with different colors AND styles, but I think if you get it from the same designer so the colors pretty much match, it could work.  Also, it's up to you on how important the coordination is.  You can be as uniform or diverse as you want!
    I'll give you all night movie marathons and a triple espresso so you can stay awake!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards