Wedding Invitations & Paper

No kids wording

Okay so...we've decided not to invite children to our reception. So my question is.. would it be tacky if, on the RSVP card I put the following:

____ seats have been saved in your honor. 

The line indicates a blank space, where I would nicely write in the number of people that I intend to invite. So, If i'm sending an invitation to a couple with two kids. I would write a "2" in the blank, to indicate to them that their kids are not invited (without actually having to say it). 

The reason we are leaving the space blank is because we are also inviting families of three/four/five (a mother, father, and older children of 16 years old or older whom we wouldn't consider a child). In those cases we would write "3" seats have been saved in your honor. So, to avoid having to custom make three diferent types of rsvp cards we were thinking of having just a blank line where we could write in the number. 

any comments or advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Re: No kids wording

• Thanks CMGr!
  • Our last DD had a no kid wedding and we made sure to get it out there by word of mouth early on.  We didn't just tell people, 'hey, your kids can't come", but if family or friends ASKED about the wedding plans we always found a way to mention that it was an adult affair.

Her biomom and stepdad's families are rife with a billion children that B&G didn't want to invite.  Unfortunately their families don't care what you write on the envelope so we made sure to "mention it" when the opportunity was there.  It worked well for us in the end.

We also put ___ seats are reserved and then actually listed the names.
  • I found invitations that actually had "adult reception" listed on the bottom of the invitation card. We are allowing children from our family only since the ring bearers adn flower girls are young and part of our family. Most of our family friends have children who are older anyway. so we're not expecting a real problem and we're letting our family know by word of mouth that it is okay for their children to come.

At the end of the day, it's your wedding and you are footing the bill. I think you can invite who you want, however you want.
  • In Response to Re:No kids wording:[QUOTE]I found invitations that actually had "adult reception" listed on the bottom of the invitation card. We are allowing children from our family only since the ring bearers adn flower girls are young and part of our family. Most of our family friends have children who are older anyway. so we're not expecting a real problem and we're letting our family know by word of mouth that it is okay for their children to come. At the end of the day, it's your wedding and you are footing the bill. I think you can invite who you want, however you want. Posted by futuremrsbruno[/QUOTE]

You can invite those you want but there's a right and wrong way to do it.

It's never appropriate to state who you intend to exclude. Phrases like 'adults only' are not acceptable. If you're inviting any children at all then you arent just being rude but you're lying to boot.
  • i disagree. I think each situation is different. I've been invited to plenty of weddings that have stated adult reception on the invitation, yet the bride and groom's families were there. I was never offended by that. I wouldn't want to not include my cousin just because she's 10. I feel like most people understand when they see adult reception, but see your younger family members at the reception. At least, I know all of my family friends would. Maybe other people are different.

I think if the family and friends you are inviting wouldn't think it's a big deal, than it isn't. This is 2012. If you can marry whomever you want, than you should be able to word your invitations your way too. At the end of the day it's your wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards