Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

wedding on good friday

I am possibly changing my date from 05.06.11 to 04.22.11 because I really want Chelsea Mcgowan and she is not available 05.06 and I do not want to move my date back because of the heat.  I just realized that 04.22.11 is good Friday.  FI comes from a religious family but it is mostly baptist or christian not catholic and my family is mostly methodist or not religious.  Do you think having the wedding on good friday would be a problem since that is mostly a catholic holiday?

Re: wedding on good friday

• edited December 2011
    If you have a lot of guests that are Catholic, I wouldn't have it on that day.  On the other hand, if you don't have many that are, I say go for it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no clue from a religious stand point...but as a non-religious opinion I think it would be a great idea b/c most people have good friday off :) so you could start at like 6 and not worry about people trying to get off of work early

If YOU really want Chelsea McGowan and it is important to you...then other people can deal.

What about the time in between? 04/29/10....next year is a leap year which would be kind of cool too!
  • edited December 2011

i guess you could have it on that day...i wouldn't plan for a large amount of meat...there's no meat eaten on fridays for catholics during lent ( definitely good friday)...

• Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not just Catholics celebrate it though--I wouldn't be surprised if the Methodists observe it.

Keep in mind it will mean you will lose a lot of people because they will want to travel to see their families for Easter weekend.
  • edited December 2011
    I had the same problem and I ended up going with the Friday before. Even though it is a Catholic holiday a lot of Christians observe it too as a day of solemn remembrance. I didn't feel right having a big celebration on that day. And like PP said, most people don't eat meat on that day.

I think I had posted this question awhile ago too if you want to look at what everyone said.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I am not too worried about the meat problem because I do not eat meat 365 days a year so there will be plenty of non meat options available we are doing heavy horderves.  I can honestly only think of 3 or 4 people on my guest list that observe lent, however I did not think about people traveling for family for easter so that may not be such a good idea. 

She is open any other Friday in April or May but I didnt want to go later in May because the pictures and ceremony will be outside.  How is the beginning of April for weather (like the 8th)?  I may just do the 29th because I worry if I go too far back that is cutting my planning time even shorter!  This whole moving and replanning thing is turning out to be so stressful but venue and photographer are top two on my list.
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't check the calendar until after we had already booked most of our vendors for our 4/23 wedding to find out it's Easter weekend.  Now our rehearsal is late on Good Friday, but that will only include our wedding party and close family members.  I did check with all of them as well as our Pastor, and would understand if they couldn't make it (but they all said they were good to go). 

I am prepared for some of our guests to RSVP no, since the wedding is the day before Easter. Having the actual wedding on Good Friday will probably be tougher on a guest list than our Saturday wedding, but you would know your guests better than we would.

Is there any religious tie to the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday?  (question for anyone)

Does Chelsea have any other Fridays available in the month of April, or later in May? 
  • BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go earlier in April. Late April can already start to get hot, early April should still be really nice.
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry - I was slow on the posting, I see that you mentioned that she is available other Fridays.  I think the weather in nice in the month of April (knock on wood that it is next April, since we also have an outdoor wedding).
  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there any religious tie to the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday?  (question for anyone)

Yes, for Catholics it is Holy Saturday, but not nearly as big of a deal as Good Friday or Easter Sunday. I would go to a wedding then. No meat restriction either. As a Catholic you actually couldn't get married that weekend (you actually aren't supposed to be married during Lent, but they give dispensations), but I think you are fine :)
  • edited December 2011

Thanks Marissa! Not that we can change the date now, but I was just wondering. :) 
    I was a little worried when we told our Pastor, but she was fine and actually excited because it meant that she could go to service here in Texas with old friends (they now live in Arkansas).

• edited December 2011
    Chelsea is totally worth moving dates for! :-)

I don't think I'd go for Good Friday though, but that's just me.  Lots of people are travelling and stuff as someone said already.  Why not the Friday of the week prior?

My wedding was on a Friday (May 21st) and it was plenty daylight at 7 PM when it started. It was definitely warm though.  We also were about a week past the "rain every single day" period though so I didn't have to worry about rain. 
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just FYI, most people that I know are not off work for Good Friday.

Methodists do observe Lent.

I answered in the last post that although I am not Catholic, Good Friday is still a very solemn holiday for Methodists but if I had to go to a wedding, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  The Saturday before Easter would be fine.
  • cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Im sorry Stephie, you're right...I just was speaking from the offices I have worked at and the people I know personally...I probably shouldn't make the assumption EVERYone has good friday off :( sorry haha

I wouldn't worry about it stressing your planning to do it early April, in my opinion those two weeks won't make a big difference
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. 

I am not worried about day light actually earlier in April might be better as we are doing a sunset ceremony so it could start a little earlier.  I think we will either go for the 8th or the 15th then but I am going to have to check with the vendors we are meeting with next week.
  • edited December 2011
    I had my wedding on April 4 2009, with the ceremony outside starting at 7pm. We had plenty of daylight and the weather was beautiful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards