Wedding Invitations & Paper

RSVP wording concerning allergies/special food needs

Hello!

I am having a VERY small wedding where there are only about 25 invites.  I wanted to put on the rsvp card to please state if you have any kind of food allergies, or if the individual is a vegetarian, but do not know how to word this. The reason I am doing this to begin with is that there is only going to be one menu option, and it is a destination wedding and I want to make sure nobody is allergic to shellfish in particular.  I also need to know this in case, if there are special food arrangements that need to be made, I can let the caterer know of this well in advance. 

I was thinking of simply putting "please note if you are a vegetarian (and having a check box next to it) or have any food allergies (with a check box) "  and then a line where soemone can write in the allergy?

Any suggestions please? Espcially suggestions which help keep this as simple as humanly possible would be super appreciated!!!!

Re: RSVP wording concerning allergies/special food needs

• I just have a line that says "Dietary restrictions:" followed by a long blank.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2012

I would strongly suggest you have a second choice.  I am not vegetarian nor am I allergic to shellfish so I wouldn't mark anything on the RSVP card if asked.  BUT the only seafood I like is a few types of fish.  If I arrived to your reception and there was no option, only a shellfish dinner, I'd be uncomfortable just sitting there not eating.  I'd also be very hungry.  If you absolutely cannot have a 2nd choice, I'd let your guests know what the meal will be and ask them for any allergies/etc on the RSVP card.  If I knew ahead of time, I'd probably say I was vegetarian and then get a vegetarian meal.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_rsvp-wording-concerning-allergiesspecial-food-needs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:48972ad8-e85f-4850-ab73-c989db18edefPost:d7bd5bf7-01ba-485a-8698-9af6f4582cce">Re: RSVP wording concerning allergies/special food needs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would strongly suggest you have a second choice.  I am not vegetarian nor am I allergic to shellfish so I wouldn't mark anything on the RSVP card if asked.  BUT the only seafood I like is a few types of fish.  If I arrived to your reception and there was no option, only a shellfish dinner, I'd be uncomfortable just sitting there not eating.  I'd also be very hungry.  If you absolutely cannot have a 2nd choice, I'd let your guests know what the meal will be and ask them for any allergies/etc on the RSVP card.  If I knew ahead of time, I'd probably say I was vegetarian and then get a vegetarian meal.
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]
    This.  There are a whole lot of people who are not allergic to seafood but who can't stand it.  Or they'll eat tilapia, for example, but not salmon. 

• With only 25 guests, can you just personally ask each one? Either in person or on the phone? I'm guessing these are the 25 closest people to you and your FI.

I agree with PPs about adding a second option. I don't know if I'd have the heart to tell someone to her face that I hate shellfish, but I'd be hoping and praying for an option I can actually eat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • With that small a number of guests, I would just personally ask everyone about any dietary requirements.

With a larger number of guests, I'd try to have a menu that is pretty inclusive where there should be at least one dish available for everyone.  I might also consider making it possible for guests to directly contact my caterers if the meal is a sitdown as opposed to a buffet.

In your specific case, I do think having only one option is not a good idea if you are concerned that someone among that few people won't eat one seafood dish for whatever reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards