Christian Weddings

NWR: White noise

I live in a dorm at my university and it is SO stinkin loud here! It's also loud at FI's apartment, so I have no hope of escaping it next year. I have to sleep with a box fan on to drown out the noise. But a FB friend just posted a link to this site http://www.rainymood.com/ It's a looped track of rain noises. I am so excited!

Can you concentrate with white noise? Do you need white noise to sleep?
Pregnancy Ticker
2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books

Re: NWR: White noise

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I can't sleep if there's consistent noise, and sudden noises wake me up, too.  I have a sleep timer on my clock radio and set it to the Christian station for 30 minutes to help me fall asleep (helps my mind not think about everything I need to do, and it helps calm me if a bad dream wakes me up), but if there's a fan on or if I leave my computer on and the fan starts running, it will keep me up.  It's really annoying.
  • edited December 2011
    I was raised outside the city, in rural areas, so I was trained from a young age that sleepy time = quiet time, and that's the only way I can fall asleep.  When I was a freshman in the dorms, my roommate fell asleep ALL the time with the tv on... I was having strange dreams, then one night I woke up and figured out WHY I was having strange dreams... it was hours and hours of JERRY SPRINGER on tv.  Weird!!! 

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't! It reminds me of TV static too much! (I'm weird though. I can't eat dinner with the oven vent still on.)
  • edited December 2011
    I used to ONLY be able to fall asleep with the tv on. Now I CAN'T fall asleep with the tv on. I turn it on before bed but then turn it off when I am ready to go to sleep. FI sometimes falls asleep with the tv on and I will not be able to sleep well if that continues once we are married and sleeping in the same room. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also really picky about noise around me when I fall asleep, though once I actually fall asleep I don't wake up to anything! I grew up in a suburb and lived close to the highway so the consistent noise of traffic never bothered me, but if it is something like people talking, or a tv, or music, I cannot fall asleep for the life of me. It has to be either a constant noise pattern like traffic, or a fan, etc or no noise at all. I live right next to a railroad track right now and surprisingly that isn't too irritating. I'm so excited to move out of apartments eventually though!
  • twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I might need to start trying to fall asleep to white noise or maybe noise cancelling headphones.....my upstairs neighbor and his "lady friends" like to get um, really, really loud in the middle of the night doing you know what....

It freaks my dog out so much that she goes and shakes in the corner of the dining room whenever it happens lol.  I always lose at least an hour of sleep.  It really stinks :-(

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-white-noise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:599b3b4d-4df2-48ed-a4bf-d1aabe4e2066Post:c158c5b6-0c89-4c7c-97ff-0e7e2be15f3c">Re: NWR: White noise</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't! It reminds me of TV static too much! (I'm weird though. I can't eat dinner with the oven vent still on.)
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]

I can't either! To all these things!

My neighbor downstairs got a new TV and blasts it - then falls asleep in front of it! I sleep with earplugs - but then I hear the white noise inside my head, haha!
  • edited December 2011
    I need white noise to sleep. I used to run my ceiling fan when I lived up north, even in winter on the lowest setting, because I needed just that hint of noise. I think its because it drowns out the little noises that happen around randomly that would bother me. I sleep with a fan on at my apartment too. Thankfully FI sleeps with a ceiling fan on too...don't know what will happen when we move back north during the winters.
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty good at tuning things out.  A few years ago I was taking a timed computer test (for investment licensing registration) and the guy at the computer next to me kept tapping his pencil and his computer was beeping (other than those noises, the room was dead silent and I needed to concentrate).  It drove me crazy for a few minutes but about an hour later I realized he had left and I had never noticed.  I guess I'm blessed to be able to do that.
  • edited December 2011
    I sleep with an airfilter on to help with my allergies.  White noise doesn't bother me.  What DOES bother me in the neighbors' bass so high that things my in room are vibrating....
  • edited December 2011
    Haha so I'm just soooo weird.  FI can sleep with the light on, the tv on, everything off, someone talking to him, standing up, sitting up - ANYTHING.  I have to be lying down, with the lights off, and little to no noise lol.  Except for one exception - I can't stay awake if a loud motor is in my ear.  If we're in the truck delivering hay, the exhaust is on my side and with the window down, I'm out haha.

That rain is so relaxing though!!

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards