California-Northern

State Park Wedding- Food?

Hi Everyone! My man & I have fallen in love with the redwood groves just south of our home & (tentativly) decided it would make an awesome location for our special day (we want the ceremony & reception at the same location). We are going super casual, just family and close friends from out of the area, less than 100 ppl total. Here's the issue, the redwoods are a state park area and therefore there is no kitchen for catering. The day-use area we are looking at is next to the river and has a huge outdoor 4 sided fireplace, electric hookups, plenty of tables, and BBQ's. The only option we have come up with so far for the meal is a food truck or two. I know we can't be the only people dealing with this- what did you do, or would you do in this situation? It seems like using the BBQ's are out of the question due to the smoke issue... 
July 2013 Knottie Siggy Challenge: Location, Location! imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: State Park Wedding- Food?

• edited February 2012
    Hi Everyone! My man & I have fallen in love with the redwood groves just south of our home & (tentativly) decided it would make an awesome location for our special day (we want the ceremony & reception at the same location). We are going super casual, just family and close friends from out of the area, less than 100 ppl total. Here's the issue, the redwoods are a state park area and therefore there is no kitchen for catering. The day-use area we are looking at is next to the river and has a huge outdoor 4 sided fireplace, electric hookups, plenty of tables, and BBQ's. The only option we have come up with so far for the meal is a food truck or two. I know we can't be the only people dealing with this- what did you do, or would you do in this situation? It seems like using the BBQ's are out of the question due to the smoke issue... 
    July 2013 Knottie Siggy Challenge: Location, Location! imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Depending on your guests and your desired vibe, barbeque might be a great idea. Well-designed parks put the barbeques so the prevailing wind blows the smoke away from the picnic tables.

But if I wanted a reception in a park, I'd do cold food. I actually wanted cold food for my girlhood daydream wedding even though the reception space has a commercial kitchen.
  • A friend of mine got married at a regional park last summer, both ceremony and reception. For the dinner, they had sided that were prepared ahead of time and kept cold in well-iced coolers, and kebabs that were grilled on site. The food was good, though with about 200 people, it took a long time for the last tables to get their food since the park's grills weren't big enough to do a lot at once, so we ate very staggered. Guest count is something to keep in mind if you're doing hot food on park BBQs.
  • thanks for the responses everyone! There are alot of park BBQ's at the site we have chosen however I would be very apprehensive to use them due to the timing, and of course the smoke involved. We took a trip down to the site again this weekend and found a inn nearby with the same rustic redwood feel, and are talking to them about a reception. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards