Michigan-Grand Rapids
Options

Courthouse wedding

So my boyfriend and I have been dating for 8 years.. we have a 6 year old daughter and another due in Feb, less than a month now. We have been talking about getting married for a long time but he just never proposed. So I did! Now he wanted to get a ring and then we can start planning a wedding. My Mom has been fighting cancer for over a year now and it has come back once again. She has decided that she will not do any treatments this time. So with her health not doing so good I want to have a fast wedding. So with little time to plan and not able to get too much money around we are going to have a Courthouse ceremony and reception at a restaurant in town. I have never been inside our courthouse so I'm not sure how it looks. I'm planning on having a photographer so that we can have pictures to remember this special day. Yeah its not going to be my "dream wedding" but just to be able to have my Mom there is going to make it all worth it. In the end it will be the same. I'll be married to the love of my life and was able to share our special day with our family's and friends. I do have my wedding dress because we got engaged a few years back but broke it off. So because I already have a wedding dress I'm going to wear it to the ceremony and find a small simple dress for the reception. Yeah not most people are going to agree to wear a big wedding dress or have my groom wear a tux to a courthouse wedding but its my wedding day and I'll wear what I want. So please no bad comments on that. But if you have been there and had a courthouse wedding or are going to but have helpful tips to make it more special please let me know. Thanks!

Re: Courthouse wedding

• Options
    I see nothing wrong with wearing a wedding gown for a courthouse wedding. You only get one day - might as well make the most of it! :) I have not been to the courthouse in GR so I don't have any experiences/advice there, but I have seen a few other courthouse weddings and I've seen full gowns/wedding parties/tuxes, the whole nine yards.

From an etiquette standpoint, if you're having a small intimate courthouse wedding with just a few guests/witnesses, you can still definitely get away with having a slightly larger reception and invite some more friends and family. There's no reason why you can't still do all the reception traditions - cake, first dance, father/daughter and mother/son dances, etc.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I think its a great idea.

Why not look pretty on you special day ?

And later in life (Maybe for your 1st annivesary ?) you could always do a vow renewal with all the lights, sirens, and whistles.

Thats actually what I plan on doing. Having a super small (Just me and hubby to be!) service and a nice ceremony for the vow renewal.

Good luck!

(If you're close to the area you should  have the dinne at The Grand Villa, or The Dungeon!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I private messaged you.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards