Jewish Weddings
Options

Aufruf

Hello! We just scheduled our aufruf for a week before our wedding.  Can someone please explain this tradition to me a bit more?  I understand its a blessing for our wedding during shabbat services.  Can anyone fill in the details?  I need to explain it to FI so he can really explain it to his (jewish) parents so they understand how important it is that they be there.

Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Aufruf

• Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Here is a good explanation:http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/465165/jewish/The-Aufruf.htm

Keep in mind that in more liberal congregations both the groom and bride to be participate.  Traditionally though, it is the groom's thing :)
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I believe in our congregation we are both involved. Its great to know the history.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL, I find it funny when you have to explain what should probably be known to Jewish relatives...  We wanted to do ours the week before but couldn't because of a conflict, so we are having a very big weekend.

If you have family members, like my FIs, that's not into the whole services thing, be sure to tell them what parts would be good for them to leave, if they want to go for a walk or something, and then get back in time to enjoy the lunch.

I don't foresee any of FI's family staying through the rest of services, even though it shouldn't be more than an hour, because they just aren't religious or observant, and much of the service is conducted in Hebrew.  Fine by me, I like Shabbat to be our thing anyway...
  • Options
    razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At my sister and brother's aufruf both families (siblings and parents) went up for an Aliyah and the bride and groom went last.  They are honored by the congregation after the torah service and the congregants congratulate you with throwing candy on the bimmah.  Afterwards there can be a kiddush lunch.

We are doing an aufruf the weekend of the wedding so that my family who is out of town can be there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards