Michigan-Detroit

DIY invites??

I have searched all previous posts about invites and haven't found any that will quite answer my questions. But I am hoping that you wonderful and crafty ladies can!

FI and I are starting to research invites since we plan to DIY - but we don't exactly know what we're doing. I have found some that I simply adore and would like to use as inspiration (link at bottom) because I can't justify almost $6 per invite to order them pre-made. So I guess my questions are:

Are these possible to re-create on our own using publisher? I have looked around for patterned cardstock paper, but there doesn't seem to be anything like this out there - just with the pattern over the whole paper - so that means it was printed on there - right?? 
How exactly does it work ( I have yet to actually play around with it..)?
How much does printing something like that cost? I know there are several pieces to print and it adds up - but I am more concerned about the colors and how much detail v. text there is. 

I know that they will  need to be assembled - and I think I have that part figured out. I'm just so stuck on designing and printing!

I know a lot of you have made your own, but I'm not sure what they looked like! Any help would be much appreciated!! 

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: DIY invites??

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There were actually 2 links at the bottom of your post.........are you considering both? One is the invitation, one the STD.

I honestly can't help you with how to recreate that. The first one is really lovely. But probably like you, I couldn't consider or justify spending that sort of money on pieces of paper. Yes, they are gorgeous pieces of paper when assembled, but they are going out to be received by others............. they really don't pass judgment on the type of wedding you are having based on the invitation you send. I'm sure others will disagree, but we all have our own priorities.

I have only received one "pocketfold" style invitation in my life so I'd be guessing at the assembly. Have you checked the hobby & craft stores (Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Joann's) for the invitatin kits they have?

You could probably figure out how to put it together. For example, the center insert in the invitation might not be flush to the background paper, but you could use a pair of scalloped scissors of some type to cut out plain paper that you have printed in a similar fashion, and then glue that on paper that looks the same.

I went to Joann's website and quickly found these 2 packs of paper that are similar........ you'd have to peruse all 829 packs yourself online to find something exact, or closer

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2676&PRODID=zprd_11180593a

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2676&PRODID=zprd_10552859a

In the end you may not be happy about what you can make yourself versus paying the $6 per invitation.

Another consideration is to do what we did. My invitation kit was pre-made vellum sheets that were attached with a ribbon to the backing paper, which was cream & white toile. You could do that very easily, but it wouldn't be a pocket fold

Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    I am about to start this process too!  Does anyone have experience with the printing part?  I want to design them myslef, but am unsure about the printing.  I want it to less flat than if I did it on my home computer.  Can Kinkos or anywhere do embossing, or a but raised?

Any help would help :)

As far as the design, if you or anyone you know, knows PhotoShop or Illustrator, it shouldn't be too hard to re-create.  Finding the right pattern to put across the page shoud be online...somewhere :)  There are also some great fonts out there, I found one for free that I've heard costs about $100!!!  I think it's actually the one they used, Burgues Script
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My invites were completely DIY designed using publisher.  Let me tell you, they were extremely labor intensive.  But I also worked on them over the course of many months so I could do a little bit, take a break, then come back to it.  But I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.  They were so worth it in my eyes and everytime someone complemented me on them, it was awesome.

Like I said, I designed them using publisher and all my products (except the labels) were from CardsAndPockets (bought while on sale).  Basically I printed multiple items per 8.5"x11" sheet of paper and then cut them all out using a paper cutter.  This was the only way to get the printing right up against the edge of the paper.  Then once they were all cut out, I assembled them using lots and lots of double sided tape.

The wrap around labels were printed on full sheet labels (the entire 8.5"x11" sheet is a label).  Then they were cut out and put on the envelope.

If you don't want to design them, you can always find an invitation suite on Etsy to be designed for you and then print them yourself.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'd agree with Liz, as this is what I'm planning. I've already ordered my paper and pockets from cards and pockets and was planning to either use double-sided tape or spray adhesive to mount the invitation.

I have a friend who is designing them for me, so I don't have any experience with that part, but knew I didn't really want to mess with it.

As for printing, I'm planning to put multiple invitations/inserts on one sheet of 8.5"x11" paper, and have them printed at Staples or Office Max. I'll then use a paper cutter to cut everything down -- or have Staples do it, though that would incur a cost.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I would find a local printer to do the printing and maybe talk about your options. Don't go to Kinkos to do it, it will cost you more than its worth, and you will want to rip your hair out after dealing with them.

It looks like this was probably laid out in Illustrator and printed as one large graphic on to paper. If you want to cut down cost, you really want to minimize how much you would need to custom print. Have you thought about using layers? Find a patterned paper that you like (Cards and Pockets have an option to print patterns in all kinds of colors) and placing another layer on top in a similar shape with all of your text?
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You also might want to cross post this on the DIY board. There are tons of people outside the Detroit area who have a lot of experience.
  • edited December 2011
    That design would be easy to mimick in Illustrator, but being that I am a graphic designer I think it is incredibly rude to pirate a design completely without giving the creator some form of compensation (not to mention could be construed as copyright infringement if the designer has gone thru the process to copyright a particular design or style they've come up with).

If you don't like their per invite cost, enquire with any designer on etsy or elsewhere if you can get a price quote for just the design. Chances are they will be willing to sell you the design for a much cheaper price tag and then you could reproduce it as many times as needed with a provided (i'm guessing) PDF file.

Just a heads up, invites get pricey regardless. That $6 per invite isn't too out there for a pocketfold set up if you take into account the pocketfold, the paper to be printed on, the color printing process, the design, the response card and response card envelope.

I found really good prices on lcipaper.com and was able to order samples to make sure it was what I was expecting.

DIY has the potential to save you a bunch of money, BUT it may not be worth the frustration of all the assembly and getting the parts from different places (especially if you don't have a firm grasp on all the elements to begin with)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_diy-invites-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:a8f78b9f-88bd-4cda-9c35-b8dbde582c91Post:430ad647-5766-473c-a7a9-395ffd8ba7b0">Re: DIY invites??</a>:
    [QUOTE]That design would be easy to mimick in Illustrator, but being that I am a graphic designer I think it is incredibly rude to pirate a design completely without giving the creator some form of compensation (not to mention could be construed as copyright infringement if the designer has gone thru the process to copyright a particular design or style they've come up with). <strong>If you don't like their per invite cost, enquire with any designer on etsy or elsewhere if you can get a price quote for just the design.</strong> Chances are they will be willing to sell you the design for a much cheaper price tag and then you could reproduce it as many times as needed with a provided (i'm guessing) PDF file. Just a heads up, invites get pricey regardless. That $6 per invite isn't too out there for a pocketfold set up if you take into account the pocketfold, the paper to be printed on, the color printing process, the design, the response card and response card envelope. I found really good prices on lcipaper.com and was able to order samples to make sure it was what I was expecting. DIY has the potential to save you a bunch of money, BUT it may not be worth the frustration of all the assembly and getting the parts from different places (especially if you don't have a firm grasp on all the elements to begin with)
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is really good advice and I suggest going this route as well.  You won't be able to easily recreate the design in Publisher, but editing your name and things would not be a problem.  You can print at Staples, Kinkos, or local printing places.  

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    All that information seems to be quite helpful - thank you so much ladies!! You might be getting some PMs soon for some more details! 

Entropic - I wasn't going to copy it completely, just use it as inspiration. I love the color scheme and everything about it and it is the only set of invites I have loved in my many MANY hours of searching! I never thought about asking for just the design - I'll have to try that out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards