Registry and Gift Forum

Mom asked me to take items off my registry

My mom and I were visiting about registering and I told her I did and some of the items I registered for. She asked me to take all the pots and pans off my registry (I can read my mom like a book so I'm almost positive these are our wedding gifts from her). Well, I'm kind of nervous about doing that because I don't know exactly what she got us. We don't need much but these are some of the items I really want. What should I do? Can't I just take back the stuff I get dupicates of?

Re: Mom asked me to take items off my registry

• You can take back things you get 2 of, but I would appease your mom and take it off the list. Hopefully can return what she got you if it's not what you registered for. Or maybe she did get what you wanted, just cheaper at another store.

Or you could always ask her what she got, but don't push her if she doesn't want to tell you now.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would take it off to appease her and then if you don't get exactly what you want, you and FI could purchase them later on. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Personally, I'd leave them on the registry.  I think type and brand of pots and pans are a very personal preference.  If someone had purchased several non-stick pots and skillets for us, the only use they would serve is to cook DH's eggs because I don't like non-stick.

She can always purchase them from the registry or scan the registry to add them to it if she's getting nicer ones from the same store.
  • I would leave them on too.
  • I'm close enough to my mom that I would say, "what, are you getting us pots and pans or something?" But maybe that's just me.

I would think you should leave them on, because other people might notice that pots and pans are missing from your registry and buy them for you anyways. Either way, you would wind up with doubles. I would just talk to your mom about it.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Personally I'd ask her why.  Or say, "We'll think about it, but those are the ones that we REALLY know we want so if we take them off, I'm concerned that I might wind up exchanging them for the ones we researched."

I'm a big foodie so I wasn't about to substitute.  

• We had a somewhat similar situation, so FI talked to my family member. She didn't want to tell me what she got but was comfortable telling him, especially when he promised he'd update the registry when I wasn't around. Sure, I could check it later, but that seemed to keep her happy, and at least we made sure we were getting the items we wanted. Maybe your FI or MOH can step in and add a degree of separation?
  • Depending on where you register, many of the top brands like Calphalon and All Clad have registry bonuses (if you register for a certain amount) and completion bonuses (once a certain amount has been purchased.)  If you take the cookware off your registry you won't be eligible for that.  I agree with the others, leave it on.  Ask your mom to call the store and have it taken off.

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_mom-asked-items-off-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:819b466b-c590-4287-a743-a1ee3fef0f8ePost:c8e879bd-df3e-482b-953b-657cf5bdfccb">Re: Mom asked me to take items off my registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally I'd ask her why.  Or say, "We'll think about it, but those are the ones that we REALLY know we want so if we take them off, I'm concerned that I might wind up exchanging them for the ones we researched." I'm a big foodie so I wasn't about to substitute.  
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.  When you are a foodie, good pots, pans and especially knives can make all the difference.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards