Not Engaged Yet
Options

Started our registry tonight

OK, did not realize I would have that much fun.  Went with FI and my mom (she asked if she could come and I was so glad to have her along, she helped me make some decisions on things that FI was absolutely no help with).  We're certainly not done, have one more store to go to and just ran out of time tonight to do everything at the 1st store.  I'm also going to go back without him to add some kitchen stuff that he has no clue about, nor does he really care and was grateful I said I would go alone.

I let FI use the scanner and he was pretty good at it, although he did keep joking that he was going to scan every Hello Kitty item he could find.  We agreed we would add some "fun" items that we figure my brother or his sister will get us - Mt. Dew for him and m&m's for me.  Of course we also put some really practical things that I don't recall ever seeing on a registry before - a fire escape ladder, fire extinguisher and a label maker. 

Anyone want to share their registry stories (your own or even just shopping off of someone else's) - any crazy items you added or have seen on a registry?

Re: Started our registry tonight

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We started our first registry at Bed Bath & Beyond a couple weeks ago when we had a couple hours to kill.  Sadly, it wasn't as fun as we thought it would be! :(  

The sales guy took us around and HE scanned everything we wanted.  He gave us a sales pitch on almost every item (of course the higher $$ items) and we wound up adding a ton of stuff to our registry that we didn't really need/want - just because he made it seem like it would be a great idea to have!  Luckily, we were able to edit the registry from our computer at home.  But really, we thought we'd just be able to walk around the store at our leisure scanning whatever we wanted.  

Hopefully our other stores aren't going to be the same - Target and JCPenney.  Anyone know?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered at Target and Penney's and they give you the gun and tell you to have at it! It was really fun! FI came with me to Target and he had fun for the first 10 minutes then got bored. It was like pulling around my 28 year old going on 7. That's just him, he hates shopping! We did Penney's mostly online then I went to the store by myself to do some other things. I showed it all to FI online after and he was like, "um, ok." He has his grilling toys on there and that's all he really cares about!

ETA: Angie, we put a fire box on ours for important documents. My parents have always had one and they are kind of expensive, like $40 or $50! I thought it would be a good thing to have and a really practical gift!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We also registered at Target and JCPenney, and they give you the gun and let you run wild. I've heard that BB&B does that whole sales pitch thing. That's part of the reason we didn't register there.

We also registered at Williams-Sonoma and Crate & Barell (online). We didn't get much from either of those stores. Most guests got us things from Target.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay! I love registering!

We did it at Macy's, Pottery Barn and BB&B.

I had a great experience at all of them.
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We don't have any of your fancy stores here in Canadaland.  I'll be registering at The Bay and Sears.  And maybe Home Outfitters.  =P

Also, we got a fireproof safe for Christmas 2 years ago from FMIL.  It's AWESOME.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_started-registry-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:aa22a31f-e239-45a0-bf94-97ab11b5e327Post:2c0ec583-2fb5-44c5-8157-ee47c31614fb">Re: Started our registry tonight</a>:
    [QUOTE]We started our first registry at Bed Bath & Beyond a couple weeks ago when we had a couple hours to kill.  Sadly, it wasn't as fun as we thought it would be! :(  <strong> The sales guy took us around and HE scanned everything we wanted</strong>.  He gave us a sales pitch on almost every item (of course the higher $$ items) and we wound up adding a ton of stuff to our registry that we didn't really need/want - just because he made it seem like it would be a great idea to have!  Luckily, we were able to edit the registry from our computer at home.  But really, we thought we'd just be able to walk around the store at our leisure scanning whatever we wanted.   Hopefully our other stores aren't going to be the same - Target and JCPenney.  Anyone know?
    Posted by AmandaD1999[/QUOTE]

This makes me sad, since I plan on registering there. If I were in that situation, I would have loved to say "If I knew I wasn't going to scan stuff myself, I would have forgone your sales pitch and just registered online" but I'd be too nice.

I WANT TO REGISTER!!!! (/end rant) We're probably doing BB&B, Target, and possibly one other. How many places do you usually register at? I would LOVE to register at Williams-Sonoma but the closest one is probably 20 miles away and no one else lives near one either. Maybe I will for fun stuff no one else has....hmmm

I think FI will be pretty good with registering. He's a weirdo and acts like a kid in a candy store when we go into BB&B so I'm hopeful.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_started-registry-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:aa22a31f-e239-45a0-bf94-97ab11b5e327Post:5b14f6cc-6f8a-40b7-900f-54ecad0659c6">Re: Started our registry tonight</a>:
    [QUOTE]We don't have any of your fancy stores here in Canadaland.  I'll be registering at The Bay and Sears.  And maybe Home Outfitters.  
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

Paige, I do not know what you're talking about. Sears is very fancy! ;)

I think we have some other stores like Williams Sonoma... but I've only seen that in Toronto.
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_started-registry-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:aa22a31f-e239-45a0-bf94-97ab11b5e327Post:f053d31f-18b9-48f7-b376-98d7e80698e6">Re: Started our registry tonight</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Started our registry tonight : Paige, I do not know what you're talking about. Sears is very fancy! ;) I think we have some other stores like Williams Sonoma... but I've only seen that in Toronto.
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

<div>Sears is WICKED.  My grandpa worked there for over 50 years.  I lurve me some Sears shopping. </div>

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I registered at BB&B and I scanned everything myself. FI and I picked everything we wanted with no input from anyone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, I registered at BB&B with my exH and we had freedom with the gun in hand (his) it was pretty fun. 

FI and I are going back and forth on if we are going to register at all.  He has never been married and his mom says they will do a shower because "that's what they do" so I think we will have to... we'll probably just do one store and do Target so that we can register for things that we actually need... we already have appliances, china, glassware and pots and pans out the arse.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ekath, it depends on how many guests you have. I would do at the very least 2 registries. I think 3 is pretty standard.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    breezerbbreezerb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_started-registry-tonight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:aa22a31f-e239-45a0-bf94-97ab11b5e327Post:408d3e41-1e13-4eb6-9efc-09cb024ff34b">Re: Started our registry tonight</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Started our registry tonight : Sears is WICKED.  My grandpa worked there for over 50 years.  I lurve me some Sears shopping. 
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

Oh Sears, there's nothing like sitting at home, flipping through a catalogue old school style! Haha... My mom still orders clothes through it sometime.

AND the best part of it all... THE WISH BOOK!!! I got mine last week, I've already folded pages of stuff I want for Xmas...

I really do wish we had Target in Canada, I would definitely register there. We do have BB&B though. 

When the time comes, I think my biggest obstacle will be convincing Matt that he can't register at Sportchek and Golf Town.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

*No pony, no I do!*
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Target is where we went last night.  I double-checked the registry online this morning and there was only 1 thing on there that we thought we had deleted last night, but FI apparently forgot to say OK on the scanner and 1 thing was "missing" (but there was one thing that says now unavailable but no item description, so I'm thinking that's the item).

We're also doing BB&B - we're heading over next time we have a free hour together (in about 2 weeks) and just getting the things I want input from him on (sheets, towels, hand-held shower head, matching bathroom counter stuff and the blackout curtain since he works grave and sleeps during the day).  So that way he only has to be there for an hour or less and I can go back with my mom or one of my BM's and go crazy in the kitchen stuff.

I'm starting to consider adding Sears to our list as well, just to put a few tools that Target didn't have - either that or we'll just take some wedding money and go buy the few they didn't have (that I don't already have) elsewhere.

KD - I've already got a firebox, actually got it before I moved into my house 9 years ago, it's not huge, but perfect for keeping birth certs, SS cards, extra cash, etc and because it's small, it can be "hidden" easily.

dwest - I've lived in my house 9 years, so I understand about already having everything.  I'm registering for a lot of "upgrading" items (a lot of what I already have is "dollar store" stuff) and things that I always thought would be nice or fun to have that I never wanted to buy myself.  Also increasing size on some things (I have a 3qt crockpot, registering for a 6qt).

• Options
    LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I have to throw this in here, not from a registrant of BB&B but a former employee. (Just left there a month ago)

We try to help in certain areas, but not all. They also try to get a feel for the couple and if they would want the person tagging along, or just checking up every so often. Corporate got a complaint letter from someone saying the same thing you said, and they sent a mass warning out to the stores to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen. Apparently the store you went to didn't listen.

With all that being said, BB&B gets almost all of their money and sales from the registry. They want people to have a good experience creating it and shopping off of it. They have a motto too "Build the business, Build the registry, Build something else haha, by Being the expert." Some people take this to the extreme, hence the employees being pushy.

I'm really sorry some of you had such a terrible experience. I do know that if/when I register I will be going to BB&B, but hey I might be biased.
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We ended up registering at way too many places.  We originally wanted BB&B, Target, and Pottery Barn.  Then I found a few things at Williams-Sonoma (like our pots and pans, thanks to Mutley!) so we registered there.  My boss STRONGLY suggested I register at Belk, since we live in a small town and most local people would only be able to shop there (we didn't have ANY of the other stores within 50 miles).  So it ended up with us looking really greedy, but I got over it.  I knew that wasn't the case, and the only registry that had any sort of length to it was BB&B; everything else was really short and/or specialty items, or in the case of Belk, duplicate items so people could buy in town (we would just monitor the registry and delete from one when someone bought at another store).

Sorry about your experience at BB&B.  Like I said, none of the stores were near us (but they were near 80% of our guests, which is why we picked them), so we set up all our registries online.  If we ever ended up in the store and wanted to add something, we just asked for the gun and they handed it over.  Hopefully your second trip will go better because you can tell them  you already have a registry set up and just need to add to it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards