Just Engaged and Proposals

nearly foiled proposal...!

My fiance proposed just about 2 months ago now and we're pretty deep in our planning. The proposal was something that could have happened from the movies...

Nate took me to do some of our favorite things, which the final part was miniature golfing. A favorite pastime of his as a kid and something we both love doing together because we're very competitive...he brought along 2 friends of ours bc, unknown to me, he was planning on getting it caught on camera (both still and video!) as I had mentioned to my best friend that I would like, and she passed on the information.

I was totally unaware of what was going on. One of the holes on the golf course was up on a hill, where you hit the ball in the top and it rolls down through tubes to the real hole at the bottom. This is where he had planned to do it, going first and proposing at the bottom. It didn't happen there...and I will explain why in a minute before ruining the ACTUAL proposal!

Two holes later, he putt and had me go and told me to go down to the hole first. I walk down and look for my golf ball and see...a ring box in the hole. I turn around and see him walking towards me, my friends cameras aimed and filming. He drops to one knee and asks me to marry him! I almost didn't even let him get the question out before saying yes!

...now on the prior hole where it was SUPPOSED to have happened...Nate had the ring box in the cargo pocket of his shorts. When he pulled the box out, it flipped open and the ring flew through the air and landed...hole in one! Now we are not talking just a plastic cup in the hole, we are talking a drain for water, where the bottom is a foot below the bottom of the golf cup!!!! So my gorgeous ring fell all the way through...and was completely unreachable! Nate had to get one of my friends to distract me and get me off the golf course while he and our other friend fashioned wires from the fence to make a hook and, AMAZINGLY, get my ring through the tiniest hole that just barely let it through in the first place! Poor guy was absolutely freaking out (not insured yet...!) while I had no idea!

Thank goodness he got it out...! And that I said yes Smile

Re: nearly foiled proposal...!

• Wow, atleast you know he'd jump through hoops for you...
    Congrats! 
    Such a cute story, and he managed to get through all this without you having a clue.  He sounds awesome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Congrats!! That's super cute and thank god your ring didn't get lost before the proposal that would be horrible!!

p.s. looooove the jerseys.. my fiance is a former buckeye and our wedding is going to be scarlet and gray (well... silver). we're also doing chocolate pb buckeyes for favors!
  • Wow...that was funny, but it could have been devastating. I'm glad it turned out well in the end. Congrats!
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Oh my word!! Thats crazy. Glad he was able to save it. I've read stories like the guy who dropped the ring on a bridge and it fell through- can you imagine how devastating that would be?

Congrats, by the way :)
  • I know! Nate was absolutely having a heart attack because the whole mini golf course was cement around the holes, so if he hadn't been able to get it out through the grate he was ready to get a jackhammer to get it out...!

And Megan, neither of us are "actual" Bucks, but Nate grew up in eastern Ohio and was raised to love 'em :) We may be doing buckeyes for favors as well! My dad works at a candy factory so his company is making truffles for our favors; Nate's grandma makes buckeyes so we thought she could do those to put in with the truffles as well. Or if not in the favors, we're having a "Tastes of Home" station where we put traditional Ohio and PA foods we grew up with.
  • Congrats on your engagement and on getting you ring back!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards