Jewish Weddings

Affordable Wedding Locations with Kosher Catering or Bring Your Own?

Hello All,

I'm planning a wedding for next Summer in or around Los Angeles (though anywhere down to San Diego or up to Santa Barbara would work too) and I'm having a really hard time finding a venue that has Kosher catering or where you can bring your own, plus is affordable.

Any suggestions???

Thanks so much,
Amanda

Re: Affordable Wedding Locations with Kosher Catering or Bring Your Own?

• Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Have you tried looking at local synagogues with large social halls?  We had ours at my parents' synagogue with a Kosher caterer. It was affordable that way.

You could also try posting on your local board and see what other brides say about locales in your area.

• MrsAdler2013MrsAdler2013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also having both our ceremony and reception at a synagogue with a kosher caterer we chose on our own. There are plenty of places in my area (Philadelphia) that allow you to bring in a kosher caterer, but I wanted a venue that ONLY does kosher catering so I'm positive there won't be any kashrut issues. A synagogue might be a good option for you too, and can free up money in your budget for other fun things!
  • edited December 2011
    We're in the Bay Area, but we're looking at temples with social halls just for our reception. After government-owned venues (community centers, etc.), they're about next-cheapest. Jewish community centers, however, have turned out both expensive and ugly. (Looks like they put all the money into the gym, etc., and keep the function rooms really plain.)

If you're willing to bring in your own kosher caterer, and don't need an always-kosher kitchen, as I hinted, government-owned and non-profit buildings have been cheapest. Cities and counties have community centers they rent. Organizations like historical societies generally have their headquarters or museum in an architecturally significant building they rent out for weddings.

Another area we're exploring is retirement homes and schools. Some retirement homes have nice dining halls, and a few of them can be rented. Same thing with the Jewish day schools.

I know Chabad has lots of programs in Los Angeles that would require a space that could be used for a wedding - a day school, community centers, etc.
  • amandas52amandas52 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, I will have to dig deeper towards those venues.  I've looked a bit but as you mentioned sometimes they aren't the prettiest places!  :-)

• edited December 2011
    To clarify: I was making a distinction between the social hall of a temple/synagogue, and the function rooms of a JCC. The social halls can be very nice. We looked at one Saturday that my future husband actually liked, and he likes nothing! The function rooms are not pretty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards