Wedding Reception Forum

Garter and Bouquet Toss

Okay, so maybe this is silly, so be honest, but I want to do the bouquet toss and the garter toss but I don't want to do the whole tacky, random guy puts the garter on a random girls thigh. I think it's really tacky and I don't want to do it. Is there a classy way to do the tosses and just leave the last part out? Or will I have to skip both tosses? Thanks.

Re: Garter and Bouquet Toss

• I've seen it done many times without the garter being placed on the thigh of the girl who caught the bouquet.   I agree with you, that just makes me cringe every time. What if the girl was like 12, and the guy like 25?  Ick.  

I think you just have to let your DJ/Band Leader/MC know that you will not be doing this, so they can quickly lead the guests into the next thing.  
    DSC_9275
  • I've actually never been to a wedding where the recipient of the garter and bouquet do that, and every wedding I've been to has done the tosses.  I'd just tell the DJ to crank up the music with a really crowd pleasing song right after the garter toss (something like Shout! or Footloose) 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_garter-bouquet-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:9b4969cc-1ddb-4133-9d52-9a1859c24b9fPost:a4081efb-0b8d-492f-9df8-a75a1ba1139f">Re: Garter and Bouquet Toss</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I've seen it done many times without the garter being placed on the thigh of the girl who caught the bouquet.</strong>   I agree with you, that just makes me cringe every time. What if the girl was like 12, and the guy like 25?  Ick.   I think you just have to let your DJ/Band Leader/MC know that you will not be doing this, so they can quickly lead the guests into the next thing.  
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Avion - I'm going to talk to my DJ to see if they can skip the awkward garter/bouquet recipient thing.  I'm with you OP - it's awkward!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yikes, I've never been to a wedding where they put the garter on another girl!

All the weddings I've been at either have the garter catcher/bouquet catcher pose for a photo with the bride & groom or have a short dance together, that's it.

Do both tosses, have a photo op, and then have the DJ play the next song and invite everyone else back on the dance floor.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • A photo with the B+G, guy who caught the garter, girl who caught the bouquet is normal and I doubt uncomfortable for anyone. I think even making them dance together is super awkward. Just let the DJ know your preference in advance and you're good to go.
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had not even heard of the last part until coming to this site. (where the guy puts it on the girl)

I have been to many weddings and at none of them did a man attempt to touch the person who caught the bouquet much less put something on her leg. It's always been announced at the weddings I've gone to as whoever catches either the bouquet or garter is the next to be married. (not to each other!)

It's usually done tastefully where the garter isn't really high up and the groom simply slides it down from somewhere around her knee or a bit lower. (nothing seen and no one is under any dress) EDIT I like having it already half off as I would not be lifting my dress for anyone.

We haven't decided to do a garter toss but I will throw the bouquet. (I know of many single girls who love it...I always hated it)
  • Yep.  I had both tosses and didn't have any craziness afterwards.  Just tell your DJ or Master of Ceremonies what you want. 

I have only seen the garter put on the girl once, and it was only because the guy who caught the garter had been dating the girl who caught the bouquet for 5 years.  So it was pretty funny. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am glad I can across this question, I had been wondering what to do as well. My question has been answered thanks ladies !!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just skip that part...easy as that!  You don't have to do it and just tell your DJ that you aren't doing that part.  I have been to a lot of weddings where this is done and it is awkward for everyone.

• Never seen that
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • I agree totally tacky.  The DJ should be able to help you avoid it!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards