South Asian Weddings
Options

Reception Lehenga shopping help!!

Hey ya'll!  I have to buy my reception lehenga choli in the US, I dont have any time to go to india.   I have been to LA, live in Houston, and am planning on going to Edison in 1 week. 
Any advice on stores in the Edison area or in the Houston area?
I want to find a reasonably priced lehenga. 

Re: Reception Lehenga shopping help!!

• Options
    gryffindorgryffindor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to Gandhi Plaza and check out Traditions.  I had my engagement lehenga custom made with them and I was very happy with what they delivered.  It was exactly what I ordered although they did take an 2 extra weeks (they said 4 - 6 but delivered it in 8).  Also check out Silver Tulip and Om the Origin in the same plaza.  What is your budget for "reasonably priced"? You could go to somewhere like Deen which is considerably less than the ones I mentioned or Khajana or Sahil which are pricier.
  • Options
    katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Om the Origin!  That's where I got mine and they had lots of great ones!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Houston but got mine in Edison from Om the Origin.  I looked at Roop Sari Palace-but nothing really said that is the one.  I went to Edison-and the selection is much better in my opinion.  Also, check out the SA bio-there is a link with alot of the Edison stores reviews.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    Lady2010Lady2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also recommend Om and Sheetal.  And if you want something more fusion - try Gorgeous Studios (on Oak Tree Road- but on the expensive side).  Five years ago I bought my sari for my sister's wedding from Sheetal, and the reception & rehearsal dinner outfits from Gorgeous Studios.  I am going to Edison next month for my own wedding sari shopping and will be going to Sheetal and Om - will check out the other places too.
  • Options
    gryffindorgryffindor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just ordered my wedding reception lehenga today and am going to plug Traditions again.  I should mention I was looking for a lehenga with bright crystals galore so that's what my focus was as we went store to store.  There was a bride there before me who also ordered a heavy reception lehenga.  I had one picked out at Om that I was close to going with as well, but just liked the one at Traditions a little better.  But great customer service at both stores, no pushy sales people, try as many on over and over as you please, and they'll give you their honest opinions of color combinations that work with your skin.  We walked in and out of Om and Traditions at least 3 times in the last 3 weeks and never did anyone pressure us to buy. 

Now contrast that with Maharani where they have a lot to show you, but the first time we went there the sales girl refused to show us anything because we weren't committed to buying that day.  This last time we went in to look for wedding lehengas and boy did they really push the hard sell on us and just wouldn't let us get out of the store.  Any color combination I mentioned, no matter how ridiculous, they told me "it'll be great!" despite the fact that I know my skin tone looks like crap in pastel.  We didn't want to go back for a second look today just to be pressured again. 

I found the people at Sheetal to be extremely unhelpful when I was shopping for my engagement party.  They pointed us to a few racks and said take it or leave it.  I had decent hope for this store since it is talked about on here.  Sahil wasn't open when we were engagement shopping, but we did go look at them for the wedding lehenga.  The sales girl told my mom and me upstairs they don't do custom orders and I just have to choose from the stock they have on hand, but another sales person downstairs told my dad they do.  They have decent stuff, definitely pricier than Om or Traditions but from what I heard, their stuff is straight from the designers hence the price (?).

The stuff I saw at Gorgeous felt really old compared to the other stores, but it might just be what we're looking for didn't mesh with what they offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards