Iowa-Quad Cities

Salon?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a hair salon to use for the big day that also does make-up?  I want to go somewhere that will do a good job, but that isn't going to be too expensive so that my bridesmaids are comfortable paying to get their hair done as well (I can't afford to pay to get theirs done too - I have 6!) 

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Re: Salon?

• AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are requiring them to get their hair done then you need to pay. I have done my hair for weddings and I get a lot of complements asking me where I went, so if your ladies know how to do their own hair give them the option (they can still meet you at the salon for a drinks/treats while you are getting your hair done if you are after the day of bonding experience). 

As for hair salon, it depends on what side of the river you rather have more info. I have gone to Hair Happenings (updo was $35) in Moline and J G Designers Salon & Day Spa (updo was $35 not counting tip on either) ladies were really nice. I don't remember was the bride paid for her stuff (I think it was $75 at Hair Happenings which included trial+day of), and J G has a website with all the stuff they do. Now I have been to Regis and Great Clips just to get my hair cut and styled and they are good too.

If you really want to find good deals try calling La James or Capri college (various other hair colleges). I know La James doesn't take reservations until a month before your date but if I remember correctly they charge $20 for their updo/formals (it's been a long time since I used them).  
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't have it in my budget to pay for my BMs to get their hair/make-up done so I've contacted all of them and asked if they'd be interested in doing it themselves or getting it done, knowing they'll cover the cost.  One person is doing it herself and all others are interested in paying.

Shangri La Spa in Moline does updo's for $45 and make-up for $25.  For $115 there's a BM package that includes hair, make-up, mani and pedi.

I thought about doing that but after talking to the girls we've decided to go someplace cheap for nails instead.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not going to require them to get it done, just have it as an option for them if they want to do it.  I've already talked to them about it and all but one were interested.  Thanks so much for the suggestions - very much appreciated!!
  • edited December 2011
    Shangri La Spa in Moline is a great place to go.  If you can get Rachel Stone for hair, I highly recommend her.  She has been my stylist for 8 years and of course is on the guest list for my wedding (in Burlington, IA).  She is a "working" guest as she is doing hair for all of us.

And I just had a makeup trial there with Mary - it was absolutely wonderful!  Her style and recommendations fit me perfectly.  The charge was $30 (just this past week) which is very reasonable.  I paid $45 for a makeup application in Burlington at a spa that was a beautiful application, but not me at all.  
  • edited December 2011
    John Taylor Salon has hair and makeup as well. I believe the trials are $35 and the actual updo for the day of is $60. The makeup is $35 (if I'm not mistaken). Our entire wedding party has booked our appointments there.
  • edited December 2011
    What about in Iowa City, anyone know?
  • Boynton1286Boynton1286 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Salon Halo in Davenport does an awesome job with updo's and so does Salon Aria. Serenity Salon in Moline has a lot of wedding packages, they have their own wedding coordinator for the salon. We are getting an on-site person to do our hair.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards