Flowers

Real vs. Fake flowers

So I've been doing a lot of thinking about my money situation and various aspects of the wedding... and I was wondering if it would be 1) tacky and/or 2) cost-efficient if I only used real flowers for my bouquet and my fiance's boutonniere, and used fake flowers for everything else (bridesmaids' bouquets, centerpieces, etc.)? Would I be better off going for all real or all fake? Any suggestions?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Real vs. Fake flowers

• mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I posted a thread simliar to this awhile ago. And every girl reccommended fake (or silk) flowers for various reasons. However, my wedding planner told me that silks are not cheaper. I haven't done the cost analysis myself because she found me a lady who used to own a floral shop and has since retired who will do the arranging and everything for just the wholesale cost of the flowers. I reccommend deciding what you want and then doing a cost analysis by calling different florists in your area and then looking at websites for silks and see which is cheaper.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    Real flowers are cheaper and much nicer. 
  • edited December 2011
    I was going back and forth with this as well. I want real flowers because I think there is something special about them. I have found a lot of good web sites online that sell bulk flowers ( all kinds)
  • edited December 2011
    To me, real flowers just add a touch of class to the event.  I wouldn't judge fake flowers, but real ones definitely give it that little something extra. 
  • FinleyFFinleyF member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan on growing my own flowers for my reception centerpieces and getting a realistic silk bouquet for myself and bridal party. Since I want to be able to keep my bouquet, I found this to be the simplist solution. Many of the websites out there for realistic silks are WAAAY more expensive than real flowers, which is why I'm planting and hoping for the best this spring!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • greygarnettgreygarnett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only used fake flowers for my centerpieces because I live far away from where my wedding is taking place (we are going to everybody rather than the other way around) and I wanted to be able to make them in advance and take them to the hall and not worry about them wilting or having to do it the day of. Thats all I am using them for tho. The PP who mentioned it before are right, they are not cheaper. I am getting real cabbage roses at 5-6$ a stem (depending on the day she purchases them) and fake cost me 8$. I love them and they will save me time, but definatly not money. It depends which you need more to make your day work for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards