Christian Weddings

How do you deal with the jitters?

This is probably something selfish to talk about, but I've felt the worst anxiety about my wedding in June. So much so, it has started to manifest itself in my dreams. I've dreamt that my sister falls into a pool/pond/something in her bridesmaids dress before the wedding, I'm dreamt that my house is full of people while I'm trying to get ready and avoiding everyone, I've dreamt that both our names are messed up on the wedding programs, I've dreamt that I walk down the aisle without my hair or makeup done, and I've dreamt that we didn't have a limo or videographer.

How do you deal with this type of stress when it comes up? For the record, I don't have any doubts about marrying my fiance, but I'm an incredibly shy person with a Type A, perfectionist personality. Any advice as to how to deal with this is welcome.

Re: How do you deal with the jitters?

• edited December 2011
    I don't have any advice per say, but I think everyone has these 'pre-wedding jitters'. I think it's quite normal.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pray, pray, pray.  It sounds like you need to feel at peace with the process.  I know you can't help your dreams, but when you wake up, you probably realize that the things you dreamed about are not likely to happen.  When I was planning, I had few dreams, but dealt with anxiety about things I could not control (weather, safety of guests, etc.).  I was so worried that something would happen to someone eiither on their way to the wedding or on the way home.  Everything was fine.  The weather was great, I married my best friend, my friends and family were there and all of them made it home safely.  Keep reassuring yourself that everything will be fine and try to simplify things so that you don't feel overwhelmed.  Find a friend who will pray with you.  I feel that will offer a lot of peace.  Best wishes to you!
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely just try and take some deep breaths whenever you get overwhelmed and just remember that even if bad things do happen, it's not going to ruin your day! Your day is about you and your FI and nothing can get in the way of you marrying each other.

Whenever I have a bad dream, whether it's wedding related or not, I usually talk to my mom or FI about it and they always make me feel better. Sometimes it's just easier to voice how silly these concerns sound!
  • edited December 2011
    I posted last week or the week before about my nightmares-- I think a lot of brides have them, whether it's all wedding-centered or if it has real-life topics too.  I finally found some peace once I wrote in my journal (I know, crazy old-fashioned) and I prayed it out.  I still have a few passing thoughts sometimes but I put them to rest by just focusing on what I have accomplished so far and trying NOT to focus on the big to-do list ahead of me. 

Something else I do is I have a "wedding journal" that I carry with me.  If I have a passing thought about the wedding, I put it in the journal and get it out of my head.  Plus, as I think of meaningful songs, bible verses (etc) I will sometimes write those down in the same wedding journal so that they are connected.  I looked back at my first few pages and I also looked at the pages I wrote earlier this week, and it is easy to see how much more relaxed I have become. 

Pray, and we'll pray for you too!  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

What a friend we have in Jesus,
    All our sins and griefs to bear!
    What a privilege to carry
    Everything to God in prayer!
    Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
    Oh, what needless pain we bear,
    All because we do not carry
    Everything to God in prayer!

God has got it under control! Don't sweat it! xo Many Blessings

• azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I remind myself that at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether everything goes just as I planned - if my centerpieces look perfect, or the cake is what I dreamed, or if everyone got along. What's important is that when the wedding is done, I will be leaving with my HUSBAND! And I can't ask for anything more than that. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards