Not Engaged Yet

Intro

Hi! I posted this in the Getting to Know You thread, but figured I might as well add it here:

Screen Name: KeptInStitches
Significant Other's Age: 28
What You Do: graduate student in engineering - not really sure if it's what I want to do anymore, but I'll work with it for now
What SO Does: network analyst
State of Relationship: dating
How Long You've Been Together: 4.5 years-ish?
How You Met: through university band my first week of college 7.5 years ago - he played the tenor/bari sax and I played the tuba
Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): N/A
Real Babies: None.
Fur Babies: We each have a cat - he has a orange DSH named Kade and I have a Abyssinian/Siamese/DSH (mutt) named Eleanor. Pics this evening if I remember.
Loves: thermodynamics, statistics, Lego-series video games, The Big Bang Theory, Futurama
Hates: Can I change this to unappreciates? I don't really work up to hate, that's way too much work ... but I don't appreciate modern art. I don't get it.
Pet Peeves: people who chew noisily - chew quietly! Oh and traffic. I road rage very easily.
Hobbies/Activities: knitting, crocheting, playing video games, watching documentaries on Netflix
Favorite Thing About Your SO: how much he wants to help people. He really gets genuine joy out of it.
Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: Sometimes he seems unmotivated.
Describe Your Personality: Highly introverted. Um ... pretty nerdy, and not in ironic senses of the word. Bookish?
Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): 11. Snark is off the charts on a daily basis.
I've Been On TK Since: Started lurking when I was a BM in a former friend's wedding, started posting today
How You Came to Be On TK: See above
How I like my potatoes: I've watched way too much Rifftrax lately, so all I hear now is "boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew, boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew ..."
Favorite book/author: The entire Harry Potter series, the entire Redwall series by Brian Jacques, Hunger Games, and I'm working on Game of Thrones. I've read a lot, I just can't remember it all at the moment.
Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I have never lived more than 75 miles from where I was born.

Re: Intro

• edited March 2013
    Hi! I posted this in the Getting to Know You thread, but figured I might as well add it here:

Screen Name: KeptInStitches
    Significant Other's Age: 28
    What You Do: graduate student in engineering - not really sure if it's what I want to do anymore, but I'll work with it for now
    What SO Does: network analyst
    State of Relationship: dating
    How Long You've Been Together: 4.5 years-ish?
    How You Met: through university band my first week of college 7.5 years ago - he played the tenor/bari sax and I played the tuba
    Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): N/A
    Real Babies: None.
    Fur Babies: We each have a cat - he has a orange DSH named Kade and I have a Abyssinian/Siamese/DSH (mutt) named Eleanor. Pics this evening if I remember.
    Loves: thermodynamics, statistics, Lego-series video games, The Big Bang Theory, Futurama
    Hates: Can I change this to unappreciates? I don't really work up to hate, that's way too much work ... but I don't appreciate modern art. I don't get it.
    Pet Peeves: people who chew noisily - chew quietly! Oh and traffic. I road rage very easily.
    Hobbies/Activities: knitting, crocheting, playing video games, watching documentaries on Netflix
    Favorite Thing About Your SO: how much he wants to help people. He really gets genuine joy out of it.
    Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: Sometimes he seems unmotivated.
    Describe Your Personality: Highly introverted. Um ... pretty nerdy, and not in ironic senses of the word. Bookish?
    Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): 11. Snark is off the charts on a daily basis.
    I've Been On TK Since: Started lurking when I was a BM in a former friend's wedding, started posting today
    How You Came to Be On TK: See above
    How I like my potatoes: I've watched way too much Rifftrax lately, so all I hear now is "boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew, boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew ..."
    Favorite book/author: The entire Harry Potter series, the entire Redwall series by Brian Jacques, Hunger Games, and I'm working on Game of Thrones. I've read a lot, I just can't remember it all at the moment.
    Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I have never lived more than 75 miles from where I was born.
  • We shall be friends, you and I.  What year are you in grad school?  I'm in my 4th year in neurogenetics and I always wonder if it's what I really want to do.  Welcome!
    Anniversary
  • Hmm, my year is harder to quantify than most. I started grad school in 2010, initially going for my master's. My research started to fall apart, I got pulled into another project, now going for my PhD, and I don't yet have data. I'm done with my coursework, haven't taken my quals, so maybe 2nd-3rd year? I think I'll be done in 2more years, my adviser thinks 1.

Thanks for the welcome!
  • I'm actually looking for someone with a thermodynamics and statistics background for one of my jobs haha. I've had the hardest time in the world finding someone for it beause it's involved in nuclear applications in regards to calculating the fatigue related stresses on their reactors and the person has to have 5+ years experience.... I'm like great haha this should be easy (not really).
  • Great book choices! I loved the Redwall series when I was younger, it's been a long time since I've gone back and read them though. I re-read Harry Potter at least once a year though. I'm on spring break and I've been reading a ton! What good books have you read recently?

• Sorry, mhollister89, wrong engineering. I don't have the required background for fatigue-related stresses. I didn't do enough in material sciences.

LaSak87, what made you start your research in neurogenetics?
  • Hi welcome!

I also have road rage, it's awful lol.

Can we see pictures of your furbabies?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:7f3b9800-b44d-4856-8df8-6a32c8c97a09">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, mhollister89, <strong>wrong engineering. I don't have the required background for fatigue-related stresses. I didn't do enough in material sciences</strong>. LaSak87, what made you start your research in neurogenetics?
    Posted by KeptInStitches[/QUOTE]

Haha it's such a complicated search...It makes me want to cry. Anyways, you sound a lot like my sister (she is also on this board). She was in the college marching band and she has major road rage as well. I'm sure she will pop in here and say welcome.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:b1003a33-ecba-4922-9555-af3ac9533152">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intro : Haha it's such a complicated search...It makes me want to cry. Anyways, you sound a lot like my sister (she is also on this board). <strong>She was in the college marching band</strong> and she has major road rage as well. I'm sure she will pop in here and say welcome.
    Posted by mhollister89[/QUOTE]

<div>Not marching band - I played the tuba, the sousaphone was the same size I was and everyone figured if I fell over, I'd just lay on my back helplessly like a turtle.</div><a href="http://gif-database.tumblr.com/post/23869958042" rel="nofollow"></a>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:3d92d94d-1db2-497e-8934-1eeacd9692e2">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi welcome! I also have road rage, it's awful lol. Can we see pictures of your furbabies?
    Posted by steign[/QUOTE]

<div>I'll get furbaby pictures this evening because I don't have any on this computer.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:7f3b9800-b44d-4856-8df8-6a32c8c97a09">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, mhollister89, wrong engineering. I don't have the required background for fatigue-related stresses. I didn't do enough in material sciences. LaSak87, what made you start your research in neurogenetics?
    My first year of grad school, we had to do rotations in a few different labs.  I rotated in the one I'm in now, which studies pediatric neuro diseases.  I also rotated in a lab that does cataract research but the lab wasn't a good fit for me.  I was lukewarm about the research when I first started but after meeting patients and being with it for so long, I ended up really enjoying the field.  I just can't decide what to do after graduation, which should be in about a year.  I definitely do not want to go into academia and spend my life begging the NIH for money.
    Anniversary
  • Hi and welcome.
    Do you have a favorite dessert?
    Favorite alcoholic drink? favorite non alcoholic drink?

Anniversary

• Can we just agree to not make me pick among all the wonderful chocolate dishes out there?
    I don't know if I necessarily have a favorite alcoholic drink, but I usually default to Bud Light. My favorite non-alcoholic drink is berry-flavored Propel water.
  • Chocolate is wonderful!

Anniversary

• Welcome!

My H is working on his undergrad Chemical Engineering degree.  Are you working on your electrical PhD?

I'm glad someone else who loves to read is around!  I'm a bit fantasy fan too!  BTW I loved your Rifftrax reference.  That is totally what I think of every single time! Tell me some other books or genre's you've read!

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:c56cd931-2614-4a3f-a2d7-5cc89f1b3773">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG. You're an engineer. I'M an engineer. I finished my masters in December (civil, hydraulics and water resources) and now I'm working on a really sweet floodplain mapping project through the university and FEMA. There aren't nearly enough sciencey people in these parts. Stay. ETA: Thermo...I'm guessing you're ME?
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

I got from the lack of materials sciences that she wasn't an ME. My current guess is EE.

I used to work with engineers all day and once modeled a smartphone battery in 3D CAD. Does that make me close enough?
  • Hi Welcome! Yay another band geek. :) I honestly know nothing about engineering, I'm a history major, but I love your taste in books. What is your favorite movie? Favorite place to go for vacation?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:c56cd931-2614-4a3f-a2d7-5cc89f1b3773">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG. You're an engineer. I'M an engineer. I finished my masters in December (civil, hydraulics and water resources) and now I'm working on a really sweet floodplain mapping project through the university and FEMA. <strong>There aren't nearly enough sciencey people in these parts.</strong> Stay. ETA: Thermo...I'm guessing you're ME?
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

Such a lie.  I'm just not an engineer :)  I probably SHOULD have been though, cause let's face it.  There's a lot more job opportunities for a ChemE than just a biochem...

I love teaching though, so I can't complain much.  Except when I have to do anatomy.  Then I can complain because memorizing =/= SCIENCE, guys.  Anatomy kills me.  I like chemistry the best.

I am also marrying an engineer :)  But he's structural.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • I wanted to do Biomedical Engineering in school but then I switched to Biology and now I recruit engineers...funny how things work out like that.

I feel like I've learned a ton from talking to engineers on the phone everyday. I rarely get any chemical engineers unless it's involved with Environmental Engineer projects.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:1d25fb4e-17dd-44a6-b93a-76d6d82a2f67">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wanted to do Biomedical Engineering in school but then I switched to Biology and now I recruit engineers...funny how things work out like that. I feel like I've learned a ton from talking to engineers on the phone everyday. I rarely get any chemical engineers unless it's involved with Environmental Engineer projects.
    Posted by mhollister89[/QUOTE]

I switched from ChemE to Chem cause my ChemE teachers were so dang BORING.  I just didn't want to be like them.  I think I made the right decision, although pharmaceuticals is incredibly interesting.  I just think there's too much politics (oh wait, there's politics in teaching too.  I'm screwed)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • I took a few chemistry classes for Biology and my chemistry teachers were hilarious! I always just thought they spent too much time next to the fume hood in lab but who knows. I definitely agree with the politics with pharmaceuticals. There is good money there but I wouldn't want to get involved in the legalities of it. I've always thought about going into high school Biology but that would require me to go get my teacher degree which I don't have the funds for right now so that will be a goal for a few years from now.
  • I love all of you engi-nerds. Love love love.

Blue: I work with a whole buttload of structural engineers. I loves them. What firm does your FI work for? I wonder if they're on our 3rd Party List.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Science and I so totally don't get along!
  • Beth, I just read "Reshaping the Tornado Belt" which is about a tornado that went through northern North Dakota in the 1880s. Prior to that point, the Signal Service (precursor to the National Weather Service) thought there was a northern limit for tornados. It had a lot of history of the area.

PrincessBride, my favorite movie is "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and I haven't been on vacation for so long that I have no favorite places to go.

And to settle the debate, I am a ChemE.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:a2305659-d4f8-42f6-8ecd-072dc92ec305">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beth, I just read "Reshaping the Tornado Belt" which is about a tornado that went through northern North Dakota in the 1880s. Prior to that point, the Signal Service (precursor to the National Weather Service) thought there was a northern limit for tornados. It had a lot of history of the area. PrincessBride, my favorite movie is "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and I haven't been on vacation for so long that I have no favorite places to go. And to settle the debate, I am a ChemE.
    Without Thermo?  Well cool!  I married a ChemE so sometimes it feels like I know all about it.  Except when he starts talking math and I just nod my head in the right places lol.  I'm loving all this engineer love. <3
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:86624a5c-3c77-498c-8b96-442f94fe4ca4">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intro : <strong>Without Thermo?</strong>  Well cool!  I married a ChemE so sometimes it feels like I know all about it.  Except when he starts talking math and I just nod my head in the right places lol.  I'm loving all this engineer love. <3
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

<div>No, I know thermo - just not materials science, so there's no way I'd trust myself to look at fatigue and stresses.</div>
  • If Buggle likes you, I like you.

Welcome.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:00fd790c-be1e-4805-9072-bbd6b7a6a798">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intro : No, I know thermo - just not materials science, so there's no way I'd trust myself to look at fatigue and stresses.
    Ah that makes way more sense :) 

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_intro-17?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:12f12bb9-de15-4816-b7b9-b2cc8d09248ePost:a2305659-d4f8-42f6-8ecd-072dc92ec305">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beth, I just read "Reshaping the Tornado Belt" which is about a tornado that went through northern North Dakota in the 1880s. Prior to that point, the Signal Service (precursor to the National Weather Service) thought there was a northern limit for tornados. It had a lot of history of the area.

I haven't heard of that book but it sounds interesting! I might have to check it out. Of course I have a bunch of books downloaded to my Kindle that I haven't even started yet lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards