Delaware
Options

Help! Need to find Dress shops in Wilmington DE area!

We are going dress shopping for my mom tomorrow in the wilmington area- we have an appt at Davids bridal off Kirkwood highway.  Are there any other good bridal shops in the area?  She doesnt want to spend a fortune on the dress, any ideas are a big help thanks!!

Re: Help! Need to find Dress shops in Wilmington DE area!

• Options
    wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i only used DB. if u go with them, don't use their alterations dept. better off finding a seamstress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Brides & Grooms in Newark

Bridal & Tuxedo Shoppe in Newark

Claire's Fashions in Claymont

Irini's in Wilmington

I got my dress @ Bridal & Tuxedo Shoppe, and I was very happy with them.  I know that they do have MOB dresses and stuff as well.  I would call and make an appt at any of these places.  I don't know what the policy is by how soon you need to have it ordered by for each store, so I would check.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got my mom's dress at Morgan's, in Trolley Square.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND!  They will put her in something that looks good on her- even if it is the less expensive one.

We got my MIL's dress at Boscov's.  They had very pretty formal dresses, and I really loved her dress.  She said she was really comfortable in it.

To be honest, we skipped the bridal shops for the mothers.  Most of the dresses that bridal shops carry for MOB/MOG dresses are very matronly, and my mom said she felt old and frumpy in them (this from a woman who is almost 60).  They also tend to not do much for the figure of the mom. 

If you do go to a Bridal Shop (we shopped at Brides and Grooms, in Newark- LOVE THEM!), have her also look at BM dresses as well, in addition.  I know it may seem young, but you never know.

Another tip:  Skip the department stores like Macy's and Nordstrom's at this time of year.  They replace their nicer, classy dresses with the prom dresses, and it will be a waste of time.  Trust me- this is when we went shopping last year.  KOP was the biggest disappointment ever, because of that.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    MrsPnky2BMrsPnky2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

MsBriarRose is RIGHT ON! I went MOB shopping with my mom 3 weeks ago and found the same thing, very matronly dresses. We went to Brides and Grooms where I got my bridal gown and were sadly disappointed.  (Carmen my favorite consultant wasn't there so who knows if that was a factor.)  We were too worn out with trying on duds by the time we looked at the BM dresses. Then my mom flipped through the catalog and the MOB dresses were around $400!

We went to David's Bridal and same thing. Plus it was prom time so and the prom options are not flexible and kind of one of a kind which doesn't work if we want to "grow it up" from a teenage dress.

MeaganBM - can't wait to hear how you did.

I will be using RecoveringActor and Ms.BriarRose suggestions on our next trip.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my mom was able to find her MOB dress at JCP. so deffinitely check dept stores for dresses like that
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here is a picture of both of the moms standing together.  i apologize for the blurriness (it was taken by a friend).  You can see they had very different styles they wanted, but the dresses went together very well, and the moms were happy.  I did not put restrictions on them in terms of colors, which made it much easier!

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wicked+faery - good thought!

MrsBriarRose - BEAUTIFUL! I don't have color restrictions for MOB either. I really like both dresses! They are so flattering on them!!! And definitely not the stoic, matronly looking MOB dresses. Yes there is hope!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THANKS! You ladies told me the same about Brides and Grooms and every time I've been in there I have heard serious complaints about alterations! Whew!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_need-dress-shops-wilmington-de-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:5c269075-3077-4b29-954d-7b37ed93f920Post:e16066bb-6268-49f0-97d9-fdfe329e4215">Re: Help! Need to find Dress shops in Wilmington DE area!</a>:
    [QUOTE]i only used DB. if u go with them, don't use their alterations dept. better off finding a seamstress.
    Posted by wicked+faery[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards