Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Flower girl age?

How old is too old to consider one to be a flower girl... My cousin is 6 years old now, and our wedding date would make her about 8... My mother thinks that this is too old to call her a flower girl, and that we should have her be a junior bridesmaid. I really wanted to have a flower girl in the wedding, but have no one else in the family young enough to do so... Is 8 too old to ask someone to be a flower girl?

Re: Flower girl age?

• Options
    I don't think that 8 is too old.  But since there's no point in asking ANYONE to be in the WP 2 years ahead of the wedding, why not just wait and not worry about this yet.

Your wedding is 19 months away.  Wait a year before asking a WP.  Why?  Stroll on over to the WP board and read the countless posts from people who asked as far out as you are, and now that relationships have changed, want to know how to kick out a BM.

Yes, I know.  These are your DEAREST and CLOSEST friends and family, and nothing could change that.  Everyone asking for advice on kicking out someone felt just like that.

I haven't heard a single bride say she's sorry she waited to ask her WP.  I've heard hundreds on these boards say they're sorry that they asked too soon.

So....in a year, ask your cousin.  She'll tell you if she thinks she's too old.

And FWIW:  you don't have to have a FG in your wedding.  I'm a church organist.  More weddings don't have kids in the WP than do.  And they're all stll valid marriages.

GL

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    yeah, listen to trix, she is wise.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs that 2 years out is far, far, far too early to be even thinking about asking your wedding party.

As far as the age of the FG goes, my FG was 8, and she was absolutely the perfect age. She was old enough to understand what was going on, and was delightful to have with us the day of the wedding.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    One of my flower girls will be almost 8.  I think it's a great age.  If anything it is too young to be a jr. bridesmaid.

Trix, I think OP realizes she will still be married if she doesn't have a FG.  She said she  wants one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've seen ADULT flower girls.  A flower girl is only too old when she tells you "That's a baby job."

But Trix has hit on all the reasons that you shouldn't be worrying about this now.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    If you google this question, the consistent answer is up to age 8.
  • Options
    DItto Trix.. I highly suggest waiting before choosing your wedding party. I wish I had waited, I chose mine about 14 months out and both DH and I wish we had waited.

To answer your original question, no 8 years old is definitely not too old to be a FG. In my opinion they should be a little older so they're not to nervous or afraid to even walk down the aisle without their parents coming to the rescue. My FG had just turned 10 before the wedding and she just wore the same dress as my Jr. BM. She was thrilled to be a part of the wedding and got along great with our RB who was 9 years old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards