DC

Cake

RedJess31RedJess31 member
First Comment
Hello!  My fiance and I are looking to have a sort of "fake cake" for the reception.  We'd like to serve sheet cake, but have a fake cake to show, with maybe one tier to cut.  Is this possible?  Have any of you ever done this? Do any of you know of bakeries/caterers who do something like this?  Also, how was your experience with this?  Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you so much!

Re: Cake

• tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard of this, but I don't think it would actually save all that much money... the majority of the cost of a wedding cake is in the decoration, not the actual cake, because it's labor-intensive. Decorating a fake cake is no easier or less time-consuming than decorating an actual cake.

If your goal is to save money, just get a small cake (like two tiers) for display and cutting, and supplement with sheet cake (stays in the kitchen, not seen by the guests).
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Tracy K.  Fake cakes don't actually save whole lot of money it you want it decorated.  Try getting a small cake and get butter cream icing instead of fondant and decorate with flowers (which you can get from your florist or just buy some from a whole sale place like Potomac flowers in silver springs, MD)  Good luck and happy planning.
  • RedJess31RedJess31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  That's good advice and I'll look into that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards