Connecticut

Jewelry insurance recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good place to get my jewelry insured?  It's currently insured as a rider on my renter's insurance, but the agents that I've been working with are kind of braindead.  I asked them to verify the replacement policy in case my rings are lost, stolen, broken, etc. because I have a bad feeling that what I was originally told (I would get a check for the replacement value) is not true.

I want a policy that will just write out a check for the replacement value if the jewelry is lost or stolen - I do NOT want an insurance company telling me that I have to go through their approved list of jewelry stores, or that they will pick out the diamond for me.  That, in my eyes, is the equivalent of your house burning down and an insurance company saying "oh well we'll just find you another 2 bedroom, 1 bath house because it's got the same specifications so it shouldn't matter."

Sorry if I'm grumpy, there's 2.5 weeks til the wedding and this is not something that I wanted to be dealing with right now, so in the event the insurance guy comes back to me with bad news I want to be prepared.  It would suck if my ring gets stolen/lost on our honeymoon and I am stuck with a crappy insurance policy!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Jewelry insurance recommendations

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a rider on our homeowner's insurance.

But the biggest thing is to make sure you're going through a great agency.   Where in CT are you?  I think DH gets our insurance quoted through a place in either Groton or New London.
  • edited December 2011
    Ours is on our homeowners as well, but i never thought of asking the questions you have. oops!
  • edited December 2011
    We're in NW CT but our agency is in Stafford Springs, the insurance company is a division of Liberty Mutual.  The insurance guy got back to me and said that if I chose "actual cash value" (what the former insurance agent put my jewelry on as) the company will choose the replacement because they can usually get it cheaper than the consumer.  I had him change it to "agreed value" which is where they will write me a check.  He was trying to tell me that ACV was in my better interest because if the cost of diamond/gold increases, my jewelry will increase in value as well and the insurance company will replace it at whatever value it is at the present - BUT, if I just make sure my jewels are appraised every couple years then I won't have that problem with agreed value.  And I'd rather have the check!

Problem solved.  Thanks!!
  • edited December 2011
    jeweler's mutual insurance online!  I do not own a home and this was very cheap and legit!  I have lots of friends who used it and have had nothing but success
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! White Knot
  • megbrooks2011megbrooks2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a policy with Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company.  The number is 888-884-2424 or www.insureyourjewelry.com
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_jewelry-insurance-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:4f8b50ec-26ec-4f1d-a038-b00d8f4c162fPost:04198297-c227-4020-81f6-59af8d77ed08">Re: Jewelry insurance recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]jeweler's mutual insurance online!  I do not own a home and this was very cheap and legit!  I have lots of friends who used it and have had nothing but success
    Posted by MaryKatie3[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto on Jeweler's Mutual. After loosing my first E-Ring, as soon as I got my new E-Ring I insured it with them. The problem I have with home owner or rental insurance is that a regular rider only covers up to $1000. Jeweler's  Mutual only charges a small percent. Another company that specialize in jewelry insurance is Chubb Group but I don't have any experience with them. </div>
  • blipsettprblipsettpr member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my best friend works at a jewelry store and told me jewelers mutual was the best place to insure jewelry. they have been great so far!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Jewelers Mutual.  My jeweler reccommended it, its extremely affordable and covers everything up to the cost of the appraisal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto PP.  FI insured my e-ring with Jewelers Mutual because we weren't able to put a rider our homeowner's insurance.  I don't know the details of the policy, but he's been happy with them so far.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards