Interfaith Weddings

Handfasting Wedding Help

My fiance and I are both wanting a handfasting for our wedding. We are both pagan, and think it would be a great way to have a open-faith wedding. His side is very open to the idea, but my family insist that there must be a Catholic ceremony and that the term 'God' be used to bind us. We were willing to state the term Creator in our ceremony, but my parents insist that our union is blessed and holy in the eyes of their church. They also fear that we are demon worshipers and that what we are practicing is evil. Both my fiance and I have other who are very much in tune with their religious beliefs. How can I make a handfasting ceremony non-offensive to those who are devote to their own religions?

Anniversary

Re: Handfasting Wedding Help

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

You need to have the ceremony that suits you and your FIs beliefs, not anyone elses. You believe what you believe, and if they are uncomfortable with it, they can choose not to attend (and in that case, you should understand their decision).

The only way you can have a ceremony that is considered a valid Catholic marriage, is if you have a Catholic ceremony, in a Catholic Church. In order to do so, one of you needs to be Catholic. Since you are both Pagan, I don't think this is going to work for you. You should have a Pagan ceremony.

You just need to tell your family and friends that it would be dishonest to have a ceremony in a faith you do not believe in. In fact, it is offensive to that religion to have a ceremony when you do not believe in the faith. They will need to accept your decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards