New Mexico

Dress Advice

I'm from Albuquerque but am currently living in Dallas, TX. We're having the wedding in Albuquerque on September 18th, 2011. I've been able to do most of the planning from Dallas, and my mom and sister have been helping out a lot. However... my big problem is dress shopping. Having my sister and mom there is a must, and I'm visiting Abq. mid May for my sisters graduation and wedding cake tasting, etc. Do you think if I put off dress shopping until May it will be enough time to get it shipped/altered for mid-September (4 months)? I'm totally stressed about this... I can't imagine dress shopping and finding 'the' dress without my mom and sister there.

Has anyone found a dress straight off the rack that didn't have to be ordered? I'm loosing sleep over this!

Thanks ladies!

Re: Dress Advice

• edited December 2011
    I did at Special Moments, because they were going out of business.  Still, altering is going to be expensive and take awhile, and I know most places would rather have you order one.
    August 2011 Board Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration Photobucket My Planning Blog
  • edited December 2011
    It depends on where you get your dress from. A place like Davids Bridal is off the rack and will be much quicker then ordering a designer gown. I ordered my dress 7 monthes ago and it is still not done being altered... Where were you thinking of going? I know Demetrios and Bridal Elegance will take quite a long time to come in..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have a particular place in mind, of course my taste in dresses is more expensive than my price range... I am a big Maggie Sottero fan and have fallen in love with a couple of those dresses. I guess Bridal Elegance is my only option for that brand of dress. I'll probably look at David's Bridal, Alfred Angelo and Bridal Elegance. If you guys think I'm absolutly crazy waiting 4 months before my wedding to get my dress, then let me know! I don't want to be left with something that isn't 'the' dress because I waited too long.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that will be cutting it a little close.  Bridal elegance does have samples that you might be able to buy, however, that's not a garantee.  Like someone else mentioned, you'll need to leave time for alternations.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Maggie Sotero take longer to come in usually. Some girls here have had good experience with Alfred Angelo, but I had a horrible one. The manager is very rude and the sales lady helping me, gave me 2 dresses and put me in a room. No one helped me into them and I wanted to try on another dress, but the staff did a pretty good job of ignoring me. Davids is a hit and miss as well.. Is there any way you can come out to NM before May? Or what about finding a dress in TX, maybe your mom and sis could meet you somewhere? I wouldnt wait till May, unless you absolutely have to. Especially if you have expensive taste :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I ordered my Maggie Sottero from Bridal Elegance on December 7th and the ship day for my dress is May 9th, so that is 5 months turn around time. I would definitely not wait. Love my Maggie, though, and hope you find something you love, too.
  • edited December 2011
    A few pieces of advice.  Can you go shopping in Dallas at a Maggie store and "narrow it down"?  I live in Chicago and got married in Albuquerque.  I was able to do an initial search then order through Bridal Elegance by Darlene over the phone.  Also, they do have such a thing as rush orders.  Youll pay more for it, but if its worth it to have your mom and your sister there, it may be worth it to you. 

Very few stores in ABQ are going to be off the rack buy the sample dresses, I wouldn't count on it.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to visit in a couple of weeks instead of waiting unil May. I'll be sure to try on dresses in Dallas and narrow my taste down. The dresses I'm in love with are only pictures of the dress on size 0 models -- guess we'll see if I love the way it looks on me. :P

• edited December 2011
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2011

I bought my dress off the rack at Bridal elegance because I feel in love with the dress and it was discontinued. I think 4 months is more than enough time. I got my dress altered by a little shop called Irmas alterations. She does great work, did my friends wedding dress and I didnt wanna trust anyone else. The only alterations I needed were in the bust and she made a bustle for the train. For all that she only charged $90 and it was done in 2 weeks. I wouldnt loose sleep over finding a dress, you will be fine and I agree I would have never gone with out my mom or my sister. Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    I actually live in Houston, TX (we're from Albuquerque) and our wedding is in ABQ in July! I had a HORRIBLE experience with a bridal store here in Houston and I ended up ordering my dress from Demetrios in ABQ. They have been very helpful and to top it off, they sold the dress I wanted for MUCH CHEAPER than any store I called here in TX!

My strong suggestion is to do your research! I found a picture of my dress online and researched who made it, who sells it, and who would sell it for the least amount of $.
    I tried on the dress I loved here in a TX bridal store (the store that tried to screw me over...) got my measurements and ordered it from NM.

DO NOT put off your wedding dress! If you do have to order it, it will take 4-6 months to be created and you do not want to be stressing out about it. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    P.S. I ordered my dress on Dec 17....I just recently found out my dress probably won't be in until May-ish.  Whatever you decide to do, take care of your dress right away!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards