Outdoor Weddings

Help with generators?

Hi everyone! I'm getting married in my friend's backyard on August 24, and I'm worried we won't have enough power for our dj and lights. Some wedding sights recommend renting a generator, but I know nothing about these things. Does anyone have any experience with this? How do I power my wedding?
What a beautiful mess this is...

Re: Help with generators?

• All I know about generators are they are loud!  We have a small one for power outages and it runs on gasoline and is louder than a lawn mower!

Anniversary
  • Generators are extremely loud!  I would contact your DJ and ask him/her if they have run into this before and what was used.   
  • Check with your DJ on his power requirements. Unless he has a massive PA, using power from the house should be sufficient. Generators are generally rented at concert and festival venues and such when they have tons of equipment or if there not power source at all, like in the middle of a field somewhere. My guess is your DJ only needs one mic and two stereo tracks for an ipod feed. 

Think of all the houses you pass during Christmastime. People put tons of lights up and I doubt any of them are running separate generators for it. Though, I would hate to see their electric bill for December...

• Thank you do much, guys. I just had no clue, and want to make sure everyone is provided for: good point about the Xmas lights! Looks like I'm getting some extension cords :
    What a beautiful mess this is...
  • They do have generators now that are very quiet. My H is a sound and lighting tech and they bring theirs to every outdoor wedding they do. Ours was behind the tent and we didn't hear it all night. Check with rental companies in your area and be specific that you want a quiet one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards