Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

passport & name change

Hello:)

We are going to Costa Rica for our honeymoon 3 weeks after the wedding..and I am worried about my name change.  How did others who are leaving soon after their wedding deal with a passport with an outdated name? I am considering waiting to legally change my name until later so that I don't have to worry about it.

Suggestions?
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: passport & name change

• drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the posts I have read on this topic - the general consensus just to wait to change your name. There would be no way to have everything 100% in place by the time you left so just file all the paperwork when you get back. Have you booked plane flights yet too? If so, I would guess they are booked with your madden name and you will need to have your identification card match the reservation.
  • edited December 2011

Ditto Dr. D- it's best to wait so you don't have any problems.
    On a related issue... we are going to Costa Rica for our HM too! When/where are you guys going?? We leave 2 days after the wedding (september) to Mal Pais and Arenal.  I can't wait!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Danielle is correct. The best thing to do is to book everything in your maiden name and wait to do all the name changing until you get back. You can file the paper work but I'm sure It won't be finalized in time for your departure.
  • LolaBelle515LolaBelle515 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! This is a bummer (I have some work related international travel this summer, too, so I might have to wait until it's all done).

We're spending 5 days traveling around (FI studied in Costa Rica in college, so knows it well) and 5 days relaxing in Playa Conchal, on the norther pacific coast. Waiting to make the name change official is totally worth it!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In order to change your name, you will have to have your marriage license.  On average, this won't come in the mail until 4 - 6 weeks after your wedding.  Then you have to send it (or a copy I think) into the passport agency.  They will send your passport in another 4 - 6 weeks.  All in all, you CAN'T change your name until well after your wedding date.
  • DanniRae04DanniRae04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I went and got a passport earlier this year with my maiden name (of course). We are leaving for our cruise a couple days after the wedding and so I am waiting to change my name. One good thing is that if you are just getting your passport, it is free to change the name on it within a year of getting it. All you have to do is submit the name change form and a new picture.

• DanniRae04DanniRae04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So yeah, we booked everythign with my maiden name as well
  • debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got a little sad that I'll have to get a new passport with my new name. I love my rugged current passport -- it's got all my travels in it. DA*MIT!
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards