Hawaii

*hotdognbuns* re BM dresses

For some reason I can't respond on your thread below, so I'm responding here instead.

My BM's dresses were by Dessy, and they all got them for around $150 or less.  They tried on dresses and got measurements in BM dress shops, then they all ordered their dresses from one online vendor at the same time (same batch, and all that jazz).  The dresses arrived on time, and in good condition.  This also allowed me to see one of my BMs in the dress before she ordered it, which I liked (the others are long-distance).  You might want to consider going this route.

As for picking out dresses for different sized BMs, as you can see from the pics in my bio, I had BMs of different shapes and sizes, as well, so I selected a color that I thought would look good on all of them, told them to all get dresses from Dessy in that color, knee-lenghth or tea length, in georgette material, and they got to select the style that they preferred.  I think they  appreciated that, and I was really happy with how unique but still coordinated they looked on the day of.

For material, you might want to consider georgette - it's still flowy, butworked better on all body sizes than chiffon.  Also, encourage them to get lined dresses - it really helped my girls feel confident in the wind to know that even with their flowy dresses, they wouldn't be putting on a show.  :)

Re: *hotdognbuns* re BM dresses

• AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't post a reply either, it just said 'Operation Aborted' where the comment area should be. 

We got our dresses from Jasmine Bridal's B2 line for $160.  My girls were also hard to find for as they had a list of must haves or must not haves, and are various sizes.  We did find a gorgeous dress that ruches on the side so it is flattering on everyone. 

Speaking of, I need to call the bridal salon to see when they will be in!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Michiko1983Michiko1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was also going for re-wearability and I decided to forgo the bridal boutique route. I also have girls of all different shapes and sizes, which made it difficult to decide on a dress. My girls are getting their dresses from Macy's (http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=515204&CategoryID=5449) for only $108! The best I could do for my bigger bridesmaids was suggest some awesome shapers and slimmers. I also told them that I'm willing to find a cute shawl for those who were self concious about their arms.
  • edited December 2011
    When you get the "operation aborted" sign, just hit the quote button, and you'll be able to respond to a thread.
  • edited December 2011
    lined eorgette is a fabuous idea!

you get where I'm going with this...I'm the same way. I don't like my lumps and bumps showing either so I like fabrics that are classy looking but hide. It's a personal thing and maybe the re-wearability thing too, but I want to stay away from fabrics like taffeta a silk (which shows everything).

Michiko, I'm so jealous that you were able to find something at Macy's! I've been scouring and can't find anything that works for us in a style/color/length for all of them. Macy's would have been my first pick just because I know I can coupon-it-up for days and get the price down to nearly nothing.  The fine folks at Nordy's tell me that red is a holiday color and that's why I'm having difficulty finding it in stores.

My medium sized 'maid is going shopping with me at David's in early March to try a few things on and see if we can't just find a style that works for her. I looked again online at the David's site where you can "create" your bridal party and literally put dresses on them.  When I put a couple dresses on my sister's fake body, I could actually see the difference in ones that slim and ones that don't. I thought it was an interesting tool. Unfortunately so many of those dresses are only available online and I hate to order and find they don't work. Not being a small girl either, I know what it's like when you have to keep trying dresses and sending them back cuz they fit awkwardly.

But I do appreciate all the feedback.  I will check the Dessy site.  Last time I looked I thought they were really pricey but maybe I was looking at the wrong things...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards