Oregon
Options

Annoyance

So my best friend and MOH is getting married in October - nothing huge, just courthouse with a BBQ reception afterwards. It should be lots of fun. I assumed that as her best friend I would be throwing her shower and bachlorette party. (Especially since her mom died when she was young.) Apparently, I get to throw them with her highly dramatic, has to be the center of attention 20 year old sister. (Not exaggerating - when my friend graduated college, we all went to dinner. Her sister sat there and threw a silent temper tantrum because it wasn't about her. Moping, refusing to talk, and being snotty and the family just caters to it. It's so hard to be around.)

How the hell am I supposed to throw a bachlorette party with a minor?! I mean, we're not huge drinkers or club hoppers by any means, but drinks are definitely part of the agenda.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Annoyance

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh .. that sucks. *hugs* Good god. First, she's not of age and she is an AW? You are going to have a tough road.

There are two ways I would go. Both start at a restaurant or someplace fun you all like, preferably one like a brewery where you guys can drink and she can have a soda. (Hello- built in designated driver!) Do they even have dance clubs in Portland where there is no alcohol - or ones with that let those 21 and under in too? If so, you could try that.

Or go with ...

Option 1: Dump the whiney brat with the "sorry -- you're not of age" excuse and live it up. They'll be repercussions from her cause I'm betting she's the vengeful type but hell, she's not legal. What should people expect?

Option 2: Take it to someone's house to hang out, play games, do manis and pedis - whatever. She can then join you guys for the whole night. And you can make your own drinks. Which is often cheaper and just as much fun. BTW, we did something like this for my sister-in-law when she married my brother (11 years ago! - good god I'm old!). She was only 20 so bars were not even an option. We went out and ate, then back to her friend's place. It was a blast. 

But whatever you choose to do - Good luck! I'm so glad this is not an issue I have to deal with!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    *hugs* Sounds like you got a challenge ahead of you.  One of the things that was on the list of things we wanted to do was the underground tours here in Portland.  It starts at Hobo's Restuarant, which you can order drinks before or after, and is all ages.

http://www.hobospdx.com/tours.html

Or if you dont want to go under the city and get spooked, maybe you could do a bowling alley or like Snarky said... a brewery and then mani/pedi's at a friends house...

Good luck Nanna
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    sarahmarietmsarahmarietm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sheesh, can't wait to see what sort of bridezilla she turns into whenever she gets married. I can hear the pretty, pretty, princess syndrome now.
    We were all 20 once.  We know what it's like to be excluded from bar hopping or other fun 21+ activities. Yeah, it sucks, but I'm with Snarky. Don't cater to the brat just because she is one.  Is there anything your MOH mentioned about wanting to do particularly? If she's all for going out on the town and gettin' crazy, go for it. Sorry sis, maybe next time.  If she wants to keep it low key, make drinks at home (because really, how likes paying 9 bucks for some soda with a shot in it, when you could have three! haha) and just chill out.  I'd hate to have the night spoiled just because whiny-mcgillicuddy can't sip on a martini legally.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My suggestion would be to have an afternoon/evening party with dinner and drinks which is to be followed by the more outragous portion where you all go out and have fun (without the bratty sister)! Hope all turns out well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards