Pre-wedding Parties

Can we throw our own engagement party?

Hi there;

I just was wondering if my Fiance and I could invite our families and close friends to a local watering hole for drinks and appetizers for an informal engagement party. Is that in poor taste? I was talking to my mom and she said she never heard of an engagement party so I know she won't throw it. Any advice on what we could do?

Thanks!

Re: Can we throw our own engagement party?

• You can certainly do what you propose and it sounds great.  Just don't call it your engagement party.

Say, "We'd love to introduce everyone now that it's official that we're tying the knot."

Pick up the tab, call it a meet and greet and you're perfect!

The reason you can't call it an engagement party is that it's poor form to throw any party in your own honor. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_can-throw-own-engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:6c129116-893d-417c-b282-9891b83089e7Post:3df99616-a033-4ce9-afa3-38221b26a951">Re: Can we throw our own engagement party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can certainly do what you propose and it sounds great.  Just don't call it your engagement party. Say, "We'd love to introduce everyone now that it's official that we're tying the knot." Pick up the tab, call it a meet and greet and you're perfect! The reason you can't call it an engagement party is that it's poor form to throw any party in your own honor. 
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

This exactly!  You cannot throw your own parties or showers...But you can definitely do what banana suggested =)  That is what we did.
  • Hosting a get together at the local bar sounds like a great idea.  Just remember, if you're hosting you're paying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards