Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cakes

Hello everyone. I wan your help please! I am Irish and Pagan
and want a wedding cake with celtic designs on it.
My venue (who I will keep un-named at this point), is giving
me a very difficult time about my cake. I am going to
add some pictures of this cake they have made for me to
showcase their talent and ideas. Please tell me your
HONEST opinion and comments, as I want to print them
out and show them, as I think your opinions may be
the same. This is not what I asked for by the way, this is their ideas...

-Nicole 4/3/2011 in CT

Re: Cakes

• edited December 2011
    I like the third picture down, with the green "band" and the dark green scrolling.  Pics one and two are ok, but I really don't care for the tiers with the dark green background.
  • edited December 2011
    I lot of them do look sloppy, IMO.  I would find a design that's maybe all-white with green accents.

I would just google Irish or celtic wedding cakes and check out Google images.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It looks like their cake decorator is in over his/her head.  Maybe aim for a simpler design?  Like a plainer cake and then green Celtic-patterned ribbon around each layer?  Something like this, but rather than have the baker pipe on the icing, find a ribbon that has the pattern already on it?

• Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    They look like cakes for St. Patrick's Day, to be honest. To be really honest, they look like disastrous Celtic cliches.

I think this cake should be toned down. They could do beautiful celtic designs without the green overload. I would pick one shade of green and an off-white/cream/ivory color instead of pure white.
  • edited December 2011
    Messy execution.
  • edited December 2011
    Just by the way... This was NOT what I asked for. I DIED when they showed this to me...  It looks even worse when you go to see it, if you can imagine. I just wanted white background with one band of celtic knotwork around the middle of the tiers alternating with my colors (the blue and green). These are the pics I got sent, and they were so proud! It looked like a hot mess to me. Especially when I went yesterday, it was just worse in person... I wanted a simple celtic thing, not all that mess. Everything was crooked and the buttercream had holes in it, and the execution was also just a mess. I agree, obviously they were over their head, but if that is a cake I made (if I were a professional) I would not even show a bride that cake, and say that I didn't have enough experience. Not to mention, something was wrong with the cake, it was doughy and not cooked all the way. I brought a piece back, their eyes opened all wide (after telling me on the phone; she was no longer going to rgue with me b/c there is absolutely no way the cake was undercooked and being cranky), and they ran off to the bakery with it, they were horrified, but I got no apology. I went again last night, brought different pictures of more of a mainstream cake, which a different pastry chef did on the turntable for me, and it was gorgeous. Now he name is my contract, and she's the only one allowed to do it.
    -Nicole 4/3/2011 in CT
  • edited December 2011
    The design was nice, except for (when the pic is bigger, you can see it better) the design is all broken up and uneven. There are huge bubbles in it, and it is sticking out inparts, and smushed in others.
    -Nicole 4/3/2011 in CT
  • edited December 2011
    i would maybe even ask if you can use an outside vendor ifr your not happy
  • KirstenlKirstenl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    horrible...just make sure the person you want to do it now is actually gonna do it. Don't let them bait and switch you. Post pictures when you get the cake you really wanted in the first place. Would love to see them!!
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, definitely make sure the person who is now contracted to do the cake actually does the cake. I hope it all works out well for you in the end!
  • DanielleZZDanielleZZ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think that if you are going for the Irish/Pagan/Celtic look than those cakes are perfect.  Personally I like very traditional white wedding cakes with bride/groom cake topper but that is MY style. 
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • JadziaDaxJadziaDax member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand the last sentence of your post.
    My opinion is that the cake is hideous. You have to be careful when you use green- but there are many brides that have done it without having a cake that looks like THAT.

I agree with some of the other posts that maybe having a more white cake with a touch of green may look better. I also agree with hiring an outside vendor to do the cake- hopefully you can work out a way to do this.

I think you made your point with your venue and don't really need to show them this post and rub it more in their faces.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

i actually like the 2nd & 3rd ones!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cakes-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:8b9438c2-a219-49ac-abd0-f3700bf87a28Post:137733b6-f96f-4ea0-9665-95e516ac3878">Re: Cakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]The design was nice, except for (when the pic is bigger, you can see it better) the design is all broken up and uneven. There are huge bubbles in it, and it is sticking out inparts, and smushed in others.
    Posted by nicolelh[/QUOTE]

I was referring to Frogurl saying she liked the 3rd pic
    -Nicole 4/3/2011 in CT
  • lisab613lisab613 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't hate it, but i think it would be better if it was a little simpler. all that color is just a LOT to take in. maybe if they put the celtic symbols on a white cake it would look a little cleaner and less busy?
    Anniversary image<br
  • edited December 2011
    As for the wanna be green-tie dye and the ribbon, I asked for and wanted NEITHER. I didn't ask for any of it, and I hated all of it. I wanted my cake to be a round white cake, but wanted the designs on the cake to be our colors which is David's Bridal Oasis and Bright Apple Green. I provided them with a few pics of a claddagh and celtic knotwork. What I wanted was one of the love knots (which is generally 4 celtic knotwork hearts), with simple celtic knotwork (2 entertwining lines) on either side of the heart in the middle of each tier, althernating the colors; one tier oasis, one tier apple green. That was it, I didnt want a whole mess of everything. What I wound up doing was starting over and getting a tradtional cake, which makes me a little sad, but not the end of the world. I

thought the cake would be the easiest thing, because as long as it tasted good and looked decent, I really didn't care. The other issue is the cake was raw and doughy... But whatever. I did ask about getting the cake elsewhere, but they would not take money off of my bill, and would only offer one chocolate or one biscotti on a plate for each guest in lieu of the cake... I brought a piece of the cake back to our meeting on friday, they were smushing it in their hands and felt the consistancy and they were horrified... So I don't know what that was all about! They assured me the cake on the day of would not taste/be like that.

Supposedly it's all fixed now, the woman who did it in front of me, will be the one decorating (her boss is the one that designed the one above). I'll attach the new pics of what I gave them. (Without the ribbon).

-Nicole 4/3/2011 in CT
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the cakes you have now picked out.  I hope your cake is all you dreamed it would be on your wedding day!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    With the first pictures, you can see that the decorator tried, but they should have been working with a flat piping point, not a round one.  It came out sloppy, like a child's birthday cake from a big-box grocery store.  And the background color was hideous.  The larger, more open designs weren't as bad, but there's to screw up there.  If they work with fondant at all, wouldn't it be easier to cut out bands with the design cut out so it laid flat?

But you're right, there's absolutely no excuse for undercooked cake.  And they were proud to serve that?!  Wow.
  • edited December 2011
    If you can even imagine.... The cake of the original pictures up top, looked even worse in person. I stuck the tip of my pinky in the icing (the dark blue/green), my ENTIRE mouth was blue, so the new cake will be done in the green color, and I will have the blue in the tablecloth. The only other issue is that now I need a cake topper... I'm not sure what I'm going to do for that.

Actually when I made them grope the piece of cake that I brought back with me, they were horrified, and everything seemed hush hush. they went upstairs (to a holiday party) and stole two pieces of their cake (which was not what I was getting, it was a red velvet) just so I could taste the quality of an event cake; and it was nothing like the one I brought home; it was delicious! So we'll see, now for a cake topper!
    -Nicole 4/3/2011 in CT
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards