October 2012 Weddings
Options

QOTD 11/28

Are you playing Powerball tonight?  What would you do if you won?

ETA:  If you don't know the jackpot is about $500M.
Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: QOTD 11/28

• Options
    We have a work pool.  If we win the lottery, we are all quitting!  Laughing
    Anniversary wedding-1 my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I'm in Canada, so no.  I've never actually bought a lottery ticket.  If I ever did win the lottery I'd pay off our house, buy a custom built house,  probably pay off my mom's house.  And then I'd save the rest.
  • Options
    We are also doing a work pool!  How amazing would it be to win?!  I think the chances of winning are 1 in 750 million or something crazy like that.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I was informed I was using the leftovers of MINE spending money for the month for tickets lol.

First off I'd tell NO ONE but our parents.

I'd take the day off sick and get a financial planner/lawyer... then we'd probably get rid of debt including mortgage, set my parents up and his mom up. Set up stuff for the kids when they turn 18. Maybe even try to get custody of H's kids.  Invest the rest.  We'd probably quit our jobs, but I'd want to DO something... maybe start something with autistic kids (H's son has autism). 

After a while, build a new house on lots of land in NC - and H wants trucks and old cars. 

We talk a lot about "what if we won $X".  Usually if it's under 1M it's pay the house off then put the mgt payment into savings...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    I haven't purchased a ticket yet, but I purchased a couple last time it got high, when it was around 600M or so a year ago (??? Right?), and may by one or two if I can tonight.

DH and I would quit our jobs and buy a house.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    pay off my student loans and buy a house
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm in Canada, so no.

But if I won the lottery up here, I'd pay off my and H's debt, buy a nice house, travel a lot and start my own business. Plus donate to some charities I like and help out my family and closest friends.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I bought a ticket! Like some of the other ladies, DH and I love talking about what we'd do if we won. :-)

We love where we live (an old loft in downtown Denver) but would do some sweet renovations, maybe even buy a loft next to us or above us and create a three-story place. 

I read an article where they asked Warren Buffett what he likes to spend money on and he said he really doesn't like to spend money...except that he really loves his private jet. So I think for starters, if I won we'd fly to visit my parents for Christmas in a private jet. Because with hundreds of millions of dollars, why not skip airport security?
  • Options

We bought tickets yesterday.  We are also in an office pool which mean we get double of what everyone else gets.

I would get a lawyer and financial advisor first.  Then I would pay off our CCs and car loans and put enough money aside for DH's personal loan he has with the XW, (he refuses to pay his half early since the XW would probaly figure out a way to screw him).  I would buy a nice house but I think that I might still get a small mortgage on it, say $200/month for credit purposes.  After that I would give some to charity and invest the rest.  I am pretty simple.

Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I'd set up an LLC. I would use my tax guy, oh no. I can't. I would have, but I dated my tax guy and H isn't so crazy about me using him any further. Hmm.

I would not stop working. I would buy a home, and put up plenty to make sure our children and our nieces/nephews had college $

I have been told that though odds are not in favor of winning, if you never buy a ticket you are guaranteed to never win. I've never bought a ticket!
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • Options
    I thought the drawing was yesterday.  I bought tickets and so did H. 

If we won, first we'd pay off H's student loans and my car.  Then buy a house for us and our siblings.  I'd give money to both of our parents, not sure if they'd want houses since both sets have no mortgage.  I wouldn't tell people outside of our immediate family that we won.

I definitely wouldn't quit my job right away.  I really like my class this year and I would feel terrible abandoning them in the middle of the year.  They missed me terribly when I took 2 days off for the wedding and 2 and a half days off for the honeymoon.  H says he'd continue to work.

Not sure what I would do next though.
  • Options
    I'm not. However I would pay off student loans, the house and any other debts we have and then buy us new cars... And I'm sure I could find many fun things to do with the rest! :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Husband went in on a pool at work...not that I think we'd win BUT if we did...we'd of course pay off the mortgage...do ALL the reno the house needs or maybe even try to move and buy a bigger more updated home or buy a vacation home preferably near a beach near my sister. He wants a new truck and to get me a nicer car. I would want to quit my job and return to school since we'd have the funds for it. And we'd definately start actively TTC. We'd also invest as well..my husband has always wanted to open a resteraunt so maybe we'd do that...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    WE one the LOTTO MAX here...
    I CAME RUNNING to the car ALL EXCITED telling DH we won he is like OMGOSH really?
    YUP! 2$ HEHE

well we did win...

he said NOT NICE!!!! :P

I did however win a sports bag on wheels... lol from the "cadeaux Suprise" (gift suprise scratchy ticket)

if we won THE big bucks though, we would probably pay off the house in total... I could stop working at Tim Hortons, (DH said he would keep his job... he has been there 14 years and it is a good stable income)

I might get into baking cakes more... but really we would stay much the same... I would help my mom out too... maybe get a bigger house and move her in... she is really stressed out right now with everything going on in Quebec.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards