Military Brides

NWR: Kindness of strangers

I just wanted to share this story because I've never experienced this kind of kindness from random strangers before:
My FI and I went out dinner Saturday night, just to grab some pizza and a couple drinks (it wasn't anything special).  Even though we had called ahead for seating we still had to wait so we snagged a chair in the waiting area and we were just passing the time.  We overheard the couple next to us talking about a town the our friend is stationed in, and they were unsure how far away it was.  Since we knew, we politely interrupted to let them know, which led to a discussion about the surrounding areas and eventually it was brought up that my FI is in the military.  We didn't have a chance to get their names or even ask where they were from before our name got called to be seated.  We told them it was nice to talking to them and headed for our table.  Right after we ordered our drinks the host sat them at the table next to us.  I had the urge to make a joke or say hi again, but I didn't want to be rude and interrupt their dinner.  We both got our checks about the same time and we gave the waitress our card to run.  It took forever for the waitress to come back to the table and by the time she had they had paid and left.  When she got to us she handed us our card back and told is that they had paid for our whole meal and they asked her not to tell us until they had left.  I was in stunned silence.  I just couldn't believe that people we had spoken to for only a few moments would be so kind.  It wasn't them giving us something we needed and they expected nothing in return, not even a thank you.  With all the craziness in this world, we need more people like these!  I know I'm looking forward to passing along the same kindness soon.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Kindness of strangers

• edited December 2011
    thats so sweet. such a small, simple gesture, but so, SO profound at the same time :),

stories life this enstill my faith in humanity. its an increasingly ugly world out there, but beauty and kindness most definitely still exist :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow stories like that make me smile! Thanks for the happy story- yay Valentine's day:)
    Nimi and Little Bite Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    aww that is such a great story!  We've never had a situation like that, but wow that is just awesome.  Those are some wonderful people that you got the chance to meet!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's really sweet, and I'm really grateful that so many people are willing to thank our men and women in uniform in small ways like that!  It means the world to all of us.

When my BF was in OCS at Quantico, I picked him and his fire squad up for a 24-hour liberty and took them to a vineyard nearby for lunch.  It was me and 4 guys with buzzed heads, polos neatly tucked into pressed khakis.  I mean, it was OBVIOUS these guys were in the military (or training to be, anyway).  We had a few glasses of wine each, a nice lunch, and one of the guys snuck away to the pay the bill for the rest of us - the waitress told him that the bill had already been paid for, and that the only message the generous person had left was "Semper Fi".  The guy who had tried to pay for all of us came back stunned, and told the other 3 guys and me.  They were all really humbled and grateful, and decided they were going to work extra hard that week because of what that anonymous person did.  It was really inspiring and brought tears to my eyes!

When I lost my job and was relocating to where BF was in law school, I found boxes on Craigslist and went to pick them up.  I chatted with the woman about what brought her to the area, as she had just moved in and was selling the boxes she had used.  She said her husband was a trainer at The Basic School, and I told her that my BF had just finished OCS.  She refused to accept the $30 that we had previously agreed upon for the boxes, and told me to just go take care of my Marine, and to someday pass on the kindness.  It made me choke up, since I was accepted into the "Marine Corps family" even though I was just a girlfriend!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I listen to a Christian Radio Station in my area (KTIS) and they encourage their listeners to participate in the "Drive Thru Difference" the first friday of every month. What you do is pay for the person behind you where ever you happen to be throughout the day. (i.e. McDonalds, Starbucks etc). I try extra hard to do this once a month. Well the first time I did it, I was in the McDonald's drive thru and the cashier was super confused when I told her I would like to pay for the person behind me, she added it to my bill and when I looked behind me as I was driving away I could see the lady behind me burst into tears. It made me feel like I was on Cloud 9.

Although I love thanking our service men and women, I think its nice to pay it forward to everyone! You never know the person's situation, and random acts of kindness are the best way to make someone's day!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!! I wanted to share thsi with you being a military bride!
    There is a bridal show coming up March 27 at the Locust Grove hosted by my wedding planner Cinderella for a Day in Poughkeepsie NY. Its a great event for military brides because they are giving a portion of the proceeds to a non for profit organization called the hugs project which focuses on sending care packages to the military men who are struggling out there right now to find food, warmth and other needs. Its a great way to give back!!Just wanted to share this event with you all!! God bless you
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_nwr-kindness-of-strangers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:1a4c7b88-d584-4e15-b48a-6c2a54d7ac37Post:4e5d635f-5731-470e-8d38-cfaefbcf6ac2">Re: NWR: Kindness of strangers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi!! I wanted to share thsi with you being a military bride! There is a bridal show coming up March 27 at the Locust Grove hosted by my wedding planner Cinderella for a Day in Poughkeepsie NY. Its a great event for military brides because they are giving a portion of the proceeds to a non for profit organization called the hugs project which focuses on sending care packages to the military men who are struggling out there right now to find food, warmth and other needs. Its a great way to give back!!Just wanted to share this event with you all!! God bless you
    Posted by mrshoppy47[/QUOTE]

Really?! You already posted a  new thread, why the double post?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards