June 2013 Weddings
Options

Feeling Blue...

When me and my fiance' got engaged, we were so excited! We had planned on getting married in June 2012. My parents were very upset since I would still have one more year of school left when we got married, however, my fiance' is graduated and has a job. Reluctantly, still,  we changed out wedding date to June 2013. I want my parents to be just as happy as I am about the engagement and marriage, but I can't help but feel depressed about having to wait over two years for my wedding. Anyone else in this situation? All advice or pep talk will help! lol
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Feeling Blue...

• Options
    I'm kinda in your situation, but backwards.  My FI is currently in grad school, attempting a PhD in Organic Chem, while I am a teacher.  I had originally planned to get married this summer, but his parents wanted us to wait until he's closer to being done.  Right now, we're waiting on his canididacy exam results (he just took them Friday & Monday).  I told him might smack him if I planned our wedding for 2013 and he drops out now. 
    My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Kinda the same thing for us but extreme. I've got one more year after this and my fiance has two. My family (parents and grandma) refused to admit we were engaged or anything wedding related (even my cousin's wedding which is next month). My fi and I were so hurt and decided to start planning much as we can without money or advice (I find planning stress-relieving ^-^) until just like two months ago. I was talking with my grandma and told her that the fi and I decided to wait a year and were trying to get a date and she told my parents (which my dad chose our June date - we wanted a 9th but didn't know what month), who are now totally onboard.

In the end, they were worried about me finishing school and getting married without having a job to provide for myself (in case something happened to the fi) and just wanted what was best for me and I kind of understand.

I say just breath and enjoy the extra time to plan without school (it's a bonus) and the chance to save up some more money for your wedding, marriage, etc. Just look on the bright side of waiting - even when you don't want to wait (Fi and I always joke about eloping but am keeping our 2013 date) and try to understand their point of view. Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Feb13 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    It's not the waiting that's bad for me.  It's the "he could be in school until he's 30" that bugs me.  My FMIL is happy with the date I picked, so no problems there.  My major problem now is that I am moving 1000 miles away for a job, and won't be able to spend as much time with FI as I'd like.  (he's also no help with planning, and I'll be planning a PA wedding in FL)  I'm hoping to get some of the major stuff...like reception location... done before I leave, but I'll have to see what happens.  No stress, and I am glad for the extra time to save up...:-)

My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That sucks. I'm only about 150 miles away but only get to go home like once every two months now so I'm still lucky. Good luck with the long distance planning. Yeah. I got lucky since 1) my fi LOVES to in on the planning and 2) wedding planning is a stress-reliever for me (at least right now!). I'll have a year between graduation and the wedding so who knows where I'll be going for that time ("There's no place like home...") ^-^ Much much luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Feb13 Siggy Challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards