Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Sheet Music for String Trio

Maybe someone can give me a hand. We have contracted university students as our string trio for the ceremony in four months. I sent a list of pieces that we liked and asked for their feedback. It appears they have never performed at a interfaith ceremony and the jewish music suggestions are unfamiliar. When I decide what we want, they will charge me for the sheet music and the shipping. 

Someone have any experience in this and is there away for me to avoid additional costs. The reason why we opted for them in the first place was catering to our little budget. 

Re: Sheet Music for String Trio

• jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Most sheet music costs money, especially if it is a specific arrangement, in this case string trio, of a traditional piece. My advice would be to try to find the music yourself so you can control the cost. It doesn't have to be astronomical. For example, musicnotes.com and sheetmusicplus.com offer many arrangements in printable form, which will save you shipping costs. They are usually about 5 bucks per song, musicnotes offers a volume discount if you buy more than one song.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_sheet-music-for-string-trio?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:26229075-ade9-480a-a623-68a163777fc6Post:03e2ca39-f709-4493-941e-aee205b2ed61">Re:Sheet Music for String Trio</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most sheet music costs money, especially if it is a specific arrangement, in this case string trio, of a traditional piece. My advice would be to try to find the music yourself so you can control the cost. It doesn't have to be astronomical. For example, musicnotes.com and sheetmusicplus.com offer many arrangements in printable form, which will save you shipping costs. They are usually about 5 bucks per song, musicnotes offers a volume discount if you buy more than one song.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this with one condition - that you make sure that the version you are buying is the correct one.  In the right key, with the right number of parts, etc.  You don't want to buy the piano/vocal version in F if they want the 3-part string version in G.  So just check with them beforehand to make sure you're getting what they want to play off of.

Honestly though, letting them buy the sheet music and pay for shipping doesn't seem unreasonable to me if you are asking them to play music they don't already own.
  • With being a string player and a music major I'm very familiar with things like this. It is challenging to actually find pieces for a string trio arrangement. What instruments are they exactly? You would probably have better luck finding quartet piece and possibly eliminating 1 voice (depending on the voice). What typically happens if you can't find the music, is you buy piano and arrange it for string trio (if not familiar with how to do that your musicians may be able to). I bought all the music for my string quartet which were all piano & my musicians are arranging it themselves. The key of the music doesn't play a huge factor because it's the same rhythm (vocalists change keys all the time to fit their range). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards