Snarky Brides
Options

*Edie* (or other deaf/HoH peeps)

My boss has a teenager in his congregation who has a hearing loss and she is getting teased a lot about it, and as a result won't wear her hearing aids. It's making things even more difficult for her at school and at home. I know my own personal experience with all of this, and what inspired/encouraged me, but I was hoping to get some ideas from others who have been there. My boss is going to have her come in to work so we can meet, and I'd like to have some things to share with her to encourage her and maybe give her tools for dealing with her loss and/or the teasing. Got anything I can use? 
(You can also PM me if you don't want it out in the open.)

Re: *Edie* (or other deaf/HoH peeps)

• Options
    When my step-sister got made fun of at that age, hermom got her a spa day to cheer her up.  Beautification, pampering, and a new hot hairstyle that made her aids less of a focal point.  It helped a lot.  Of course, now she's grown and has no problem telling people to eff off. Poor girl.  Teenagers are mean.
  • Options
    I think she is about 17. I know she is old enough to drive, because people have left mean notes on her car. :(
  • Options
    I have nothing to add other than people really suck. 

Edie, I love your comment about the piercing :) do you still have it? I got mine done an after a year, I took it out because it hurt so much. 
  • Options
    Funny! I only wear diamond studs and I got them four years ago too!
  • Options
    I don't really have any advice, but I'm so sorry for the situation she's in.

Has the school done anything about the bullying?  I know administration can't be everywhere all the time, but getting to the point where people are leaving notes on her car is ridiculous.  
  • Options
    Aww, that is so sad. I don't think i'll ever understand why kids make fun of other kids for things like this. :(

Mom was a bit older when she got hers, so I don't have any help to offer. PPs have had good suggestions though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

This is my own personal experience- I started wearing hearing aids when I was in 1st grade and wore them up until about 8th grade when kids started making fun of me. They used to call me names and bump their hand against their chest going "doooh". It was awful. I stopped wearing them and just plain suffered. During school I would ask to sit in the front of the class so I could hear the teacher. Nowadays as an adult I still refuse to wear them. Instead I just tell people that I have hearing loss in both of my ears so if it seems like I am ignoring you, I am not, I just didn't hear you. Once I told people they were very understanding.

I know this doesn't really help, but if she absolutely needs to wear the hearing aids, I would suggest getting ones that blend in with her hair color and keeping her hair down. That was what I did until I stopped wearing them. I only wear them on certain occassions (job interviews etc where I absolutely need to hear everything they say).

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards