Outdoor Weddings

What about inclement weather and a contingency plan?

Okay, let's say you want to have an outdoor wedding; but you want a back up plan in place in case of incliment weather. So, is there a term for that, that can or should be used, when interviewing to a wedding site corridinator or vendor? Because if it rains at our Spring wedding (and let's face it, Spring showers are not all that uncommon); but, if it does, I want to make arrangements to move the ceremony into hopefully an optional, sheltered area, be it a chapel, gazebo or whatever. Does that make sense? So, how would I best explain that, to avoid any misunderstandings? Any suggestions? Do most wedding vendors and site or ceremony corrdinators allow for this? Does insurance cover that, because I would n't think that it would. But, I want to be sure how to address it, before entering into the interview process.
All our best to you other couples out there, as we hope your wedding event is just as lovely as we hope ours to be. Many happy blessings and a here's wishing you a very blissful future together. ~ JnT Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: What about inclement weather and a contingency plan?

• Any wedding planner or typically outside venue that does not have a bad weather plan is an idiot.

Any wedding planner that has any sense will have a back up plan if there is bad weather.  I'm having an outdoor wedding, and all I did was ask the woman where the ceremony would be if there was bad weather and she told me.  My venue is all outdoor ceremonies, so they know exactly what to do.

• Ditto above.  It's called a rain plan, or a back-up plan, or whatever other wording makes it clear that there's a second plan in case of bad weather.  If the venue doesn't know what to do in case of rain (or if they'd make you pay more to have a rain plan) then they shouldn't get your business.
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • I always wanted an outdoor reception and we found a place that has a built in "rain plan".

Our venue is an historic site that will allow for tents outdoors. We will be renting a tent for placement outdoors, but setting the banquet hall up (all the stuff in there is free to use) for the eating part of the reception. We are getting married in August 2011, so it will be hot. We figure eating indoors, keeping the food away from the bugs outdoors, is a good compromise for us.

The tent outdoors will be set up for the "party" part of the reception, dancing. The guests can sit outdoors where the music is, or if the older folks want the air conditioning, they can be indoors.

Having both does not cost us more. I'd recommend trying to find something near you where you can rent the facility and set up a tent outdoors instead of the other way around.

Good luck.
  • edited March 2010
    Wow, thanks for all your responses. I agree it's something that has to be considered, as everyone should most definitely have a inclement weather contingency plan - and that's what I'm calling it. Although, I wouldn't go so far as to call someone an idiot for not knowing, as no question is a stupid one. Just pays to know what to ask, before you get into a situation, where you have no alternative. So anyway, ours is to be an outdoor, Spring wedding, in the mountains....and thanks again for your insight, suggestions, and comments. Appreciate all the replies and keep 'em coming as we hope this discussion might help someone else llike it has us. Thanks and have a great day!

JnT WinkSmile
    All our best to you other couples out there, as we hope your wedding event is just as lovely as we hope ours to be. Many happy blessings and a here's wishing you a very blissful future together. ~ JnT Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards