Catholic Weddings
Options

black friday?

Is black friday also a Catholic observance day? I overheard someone talking yesterday about how she doesn't participate in black friday because of our religion. I didn't know if this was a day of observation or what.

Anniversary

Re: black friday?

• Options
    I think the general mindset for Catholics is that the Black Friday hustle & bustle takes away from the reason for the season. A focus on excessive materialism takes away from a focus on Christ.
  • Options
    "Because of our religion" might putting it a bit strongly, but it's the idea of ... why do Americans trample each other to death trying to get good deals, the day after being thankful for what we already have? And some of the stories I hear from people who are in the stores and how mean and greedy and impatient everyone is... I personally want no part in that.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    It isn't an observance day, and there is nothing that strictly precludes anyone from shopping the sales. But, like lala said, I think many Catholics feel like Black Friday is the epitome of how secularized greed has distracted from the meaning of the holiday season. So, it is understandable that many Catholics wouldn't want to "support" it by feeding into the frenzy.
  • Options
    I would never line up on Thanksgiving or before to wrestle someone for a flat screen. I agree that it takes away from the meaning of both Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you have the day off, and there happens to be a really awesome deal at a locally owned cloth diaper store, I don't see anything wrong with stopping in while out buying cat food. But I wouldn't know anything about that. ;
  • Options
    I actually read that at a lot of stores people were grabbing more "necessities" rather than extravagant items this year.  I found that pretty interesting.
    Anniversary

• Options

Thanks for the feedback, I was just wondering about that and would agrees that it does take away from the meaning of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards