Catholic Weddings

Forgot to invite priest...so embarassed

So our wedding is next weekend.  We were doing our seating chart and realized we never gave our priest a formal invite.  I completely forgot.  It was not out of misintention.  He was invited to RD and is attending.  Can this be fixed?  If I give him a formal invite now, does it look like an afterthought?  The RSVP date on the invite has passed. 

I doubt he will be able to make it since there are confessions and mass right after our ceremony. 

Thought?
my read shelf:
Robin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Forgot to invite priest...so embarassed

• edited December 2011
    I would just mention it to him. Most likely, he will stop by your reception a bit later, just make sure they have enough plates or food for him. This is exactly what ours did as he had mass (Sat evening) right after our wedding. He didn't seem to mind and enjoyed his dinner and mingling with the other guests.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting this-- I almost forgot too!

Are you supposed to invite him to the rehearsal dinner? We don't know him on a personal level, only met him once so far.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes, the priest should be invited to the RD and the Reception.

to OP:  since he's invited to the RD, he probably assumes he's been invited to the reception.  id mention something to him to make sure he knows.

our priest couldnt make our reception....he had a baptism to do after our wedding.  but he came to teh RD, and it was so nice to have him there.  it isnt often he gets out for a nice meal in a restaurant, so we were so happy to be able to do that for him.
  • edited December 2011
    I would maybe go by the church office, or see if I could catch him between masses this week and hand deliver an invitation, take out the out of date rsvp card, and say, I had forgot to give you this earlier, but I wanted to make sure that you have all the information for our celebration on Saturday.  Thanks again for doing the service. 
  • edited December 2011
    Ok this might be weird question but, must you still invite the Priest to the reception if we do not know him on a personal level?  Also, ours does not attend rehearsals so I was thinking to not invite him to rehearsal dinner after?
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    tn, the priest wont be at your RD, then you probably arent etiquette-incorrect to not invite him, but its still a nice gesture.  the reception is a standard invite.  if he doesnt know you well, he most likely will decline anyway, but the invite shoudl still be extended.  he may also have a conflict anyway, like mine did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards