July 2012 Weddings

Tipping Vendors/caterers/MUAs and hairstylists at the wedding

I like to lurk on month boards that are on the brink of having their wedding, and this is a topic that I keep seeing pop up.

Have you guys thought about which of your vendors you will be tipping?  Do you know what is expected/polite?

Our catering/venue contract includes a 21% service charge, so I don't think we are planning to tip anything in that regard....

but what about florist? photographers? videographers? cake bakers? DJ? hair stylists? MUAs?

it might be too early to think about this (it was the May girls who were freaking out about this most recently) but I am just curious...and my dad keeps asking me how much $$ he should allocate/budget out for tipping, and I really had no idea what to tell him! 

Sorry to be a PW. My projects at work are boring this week and knotting is much more fun. 

Re: Tipping Vendors/caterers/MUAs and hairstylists at the wedding

• I'm curious about this too, and also about tipping for hair and makeup trials. Are you supposed to tip then too??
    Photobucket
  • ugh good point ceglare - totally hadn't even thought of that!!!
  • I think the only vendor I will be tipping is my hairstylist and make-up artist. Everyone else is charging us taxes and service charges and our venue already includes gratuity i think.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We only have a few vendors to think about. I'm definitely tipping my hairstylist and MUA, and will probably tip our photog, because he's a good friend and it giving us really good deals on albums. And he took $500 off the price for everything.

Then we have the baker and florist. They both included tax I believe, so I'm not sure what to do.

Also, what percentage should you tip?
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_tipping-vendorscaterersmuas-and-hairstylists-at-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a840da37-ae1d-494c-835d-0c9f03d53b69Post:018562cf-2188-45f8-bbff-258f4d9bd8d7">Re: Tipping Vendors/caterers/MUAs and hairstylists at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]We only have a few vendors to think about. I'm definitely tipping my hairstylist and MUA, and will probably tip our photog, because he's a good friend and it giving us really good deals on albums. And he took $500 off the price for everything. Then we have the baker and florist. They both included tax I believe, so I'm not sure what to do. Also, what percentage should you tip?
    Posted by ceglare4[/QUOTE]

I figured i would do the norm for my HS & MUA which i think is 20%
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I sincerely hope 20% isn't expected for all vendors because that's easily thousands of dollars between the florist, bakery, and photog...
    Photobucket
  • I tried to tip my hairstylist at my trial and she refused to accept it.  I think that was one of the reasons I went with her services.

I don't know what is polite but I plan to give my hairstylist and any helpers $50 because they are traveling to me.  It will also cover the mothers and my friends who are having their hair done because I don't want them to have to pay for it.
  • I wouldn't tip the florist or baker more than $30 since it's probably a delivery person and not the actual person who did all the work.
  • Good point Penny, I hadn't thought of that.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_tipping-vendorscaterersmuas-and-hairstylists-at-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a840da37-ae1d-494c-835d-0c9f03d53b69Post:2bc7f89b-e196-439c-b59a-f5a91fa0f122">Re: Tipping Vendors/caterers/MUAs and hairstylists at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I sincerely hope 20% isn't expected for all vendors because that's easily thousands of dollars between the florist, bakery, and photog...
    Posted by ceglare4[/QUOTE]

Yeah . . . seriously!

I tipped my hairstylist for my first trial. I also tipped the MUA for the makeup trial. Now that my hairstylist is doing another trial and she's charging me for it, I am unclear on whether I'll tip her again. Depends how well she does tonight, I suppose.

As far as other vendors, I am only tipping if they don't own the business - so, I'll tip assistants in general - my planner's assistants (she'll have two) and my photographer's assistant and the hair and makeup assistants - and then band members, MAYBE waiters, and maybe the on-site coordinator. It really depends how they end up doing. The rest of them are not getting a tip - that's why I am paying their exorbitant made-up fees for things.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My venue already is charging me a service charge. Most of my vendors own their own business. I'm might tip limo driver and hairstylist/Mua. I wouldn't tip more the 50.00.
  • Yes most of my vendors own their own business as well or the gratuity is added into the cist (limo and venue).  So I will tip my hairstylist and MUA and then the photographers assistant.

Bridetobe- when you tip the assistants will you be handing it directly to them or will you be giving the tip to the main person and saying this is for your assistants?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_tipping-vendorscaterersmuas-and-hairstylists-at-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a840da37-ae1d-494c-835d-0c9f03d53b69Post:b0963d73-f3e1-4d3d-ae05-f000c7c8a628">Re: Tipping Vendors/caterers/MUAs and hairstylists at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes most of my vendors own their own business as well or the gratuity is added into the cist (limo and venue).  So I will tip my hairstylist and MUA and then the photographers assistant. <strong>Bridetobe- when you tip the assistants will you be handing it directly to them or will you be giving the tip to the main person and saying this is for your assistants?
    </strong>Posted by colleenm18[/QUOTE]

I'm going to put the tip in envelopes ahead of time and then give them to either my MOH (for the MUA/Hair assistants) or to the Best Man (for the others) to hand directly to the assistants at the end of the services (so, end of night for band members and or after hair is done, for the hair ladies).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I came across this on the May board today and this is pretty much what I'm doing:

I also pinned it on my Pinterest if you want to look at the entire webpage
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Our caterer/venue includes 20% service charge so we will not be tipping anymore than that. 

Our photographers, DJ, and florist all are owners of their companies so we know they receive everything we are paying them, no tips for them either. 

My hair person is a friend so she's not charging me but I'm going to pay her anyway. I guess that's a tip? I don't have a MUA yet. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here's an awesome article that sheds light on this very subject.  It had stuff on there I never even thought about

Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • Kim - that article is super helpful. thanks for sharing, I already printed it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards