Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Poll - Wedding Pet Peeves

What do you dislike at weddings?  
From big to little... 

Re: Poll - Wedding Pet Peeves

• edited December 2011
    I don't like when flower girls wear white.

I went to a dry wedding once, that sucked.  It was also outside in 100 degrees and there was nothing for me to eat, veggie.  It was a sad day.  I drove to Pittsburgh for said wedding.  

I don't like jam like fillings in cakes.  I really like cake so a bad cake makes me sad.

I don't like the tosses.  

• edited December 2011
    I don't like long ceremonies unless religiously necessary.

I also don't like poems & directions for everything. Honestly, I don't need you to tell me what to do at a candy buffet... or a guest book... or a bathroom basket. Not everything needs a poem.

I don't like seedy reception halls. I've been to a few....

I don't like ice sculptures. Really? Ice in the shape of a swan? I mean, an ice luge, I'm all for. Anything that you can pour alcohol in... yes. A+ in my book.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poll-wedding-pet-peeves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:1afee76f-c033-4a47-9293-92f31ef20809Post:21edc850-c3ae-43da-82a8-bb4d8988531a">Re: Poll - Wedding Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not everything needs a poem.
    Posted by paprika28[/QUOTE]

LOL! Ditto.

I detest readings that don't have anything to do with anything. At my cousin's wedding they had my brother read a poem. It didn't even make sense.

I don't like overcrowding in any situation, so it's even worse when it's during cocktail hour.

I don't like not getting a piece of the cake! Somehow this has happened to me on a number of occasions, and I love cake. I'm pretty much only there for the cake.

I also am not a fan of the tosses.
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I hate poems, I'm an adult I get it.
    I see them all over the knot/ nest/ another wedding board I'm on when people want to do something rude, ie. ask for money.  Still not ok.  
  • edited December 2011
    Choreographed wedding party dances....unless they were like REALLY good...ABDC-good.

Although it's funny that I say this because I've been envisioning having my wedding party do the sould train while they're being introduced. lol.  That's sort of choreographed, no?
  • edited December 2011
    I don't like Bridal Party announcements at the beginning of the reception (post cocktail hour, pre dinner). 

I don't like the Corinthians reading (Love is Patient, Love is Kind... etc)

I don't like head tables, but I'm getting vetoed on this one... this is mostly because I don't like the Significant Others table... all the dates of the Bridal Party.  It's great if everyone knows each other, but if they don't... then you get stuck next to some alcoholic named Frank who has a toolbelt of cameras and eats roasted chicken breast with his hands.  Ask me how I know.

I don't like when there isn't a vegetarian option.  Even though I'm not a vegetarian... sometimes I don't feel like eating meat.

I don't like when there's a buffet... and they have all the meat on one side... and all the side dishes on another, so you have to stand in two lines.  No thank you.

I don't like cheesy DJs.  And I don't like when the DJ feels like in order for people to dance they have to play the electric slide and the chicken dance.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • luvdelilahluvdelilah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ysl - you just took mine!  Forcing your wedding party to dance, either down the aisle or into the reception, is ALWAYS awkward. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    >> It's great if everyone knows each other, but if they don't... then you get stuck next to some alcoholic named Frank who has a toolbelt of cameras and eats roasted chicken breast with his hands.  Ask me how I know. <<

You can't write this and not share. Now. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Not a fan of:

Tosses
    The dollar dance
    Dry weddings
    Head tables
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of readings, most of them you've heard before.  Exception being a friend who had a Pablo Neruda poem for a reading that I thought was fabulous.

Not a fan of receiving lines. Its just awkward for everyone.

I don't like head tables too much, or sweetheart tables.  But I know I'm not in the majority here.

Not a fan of tosses unless there are a lot of singles who are excited to participate and can make it fun.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poll-wedding-pet-peeves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:1afee76f-c033-4a47-9293-92f31ef20809Post:53d547c0-49f8-40bf-bbc9-0d62f03835aa">Re: Poll - Wedding Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not a fan of: Tosses The dollar dance Dry weddings Head tables
    Posted by Madam A[/QUOTE] Ditto. 
  • amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like the whole cake smashing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Frank has his own post now.  It's long.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    I don't like sweetheart tables either Cara, but I guess you're not shocked.  ;-)

I don't like being on show while I'm eating.  Weird.  
  • LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG, how could I forget how much I distain cheesy DJs -- especially when they pull out props for different dances! Not my style at all.
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like sweetheart tables either, but that's mostly because I feel so bad for the bride when she's left sitting there alone because the groom gets up to go to the bathroom or talk to someone.

But I wouldn't really say it's a pet peeve of mine.  I think my only wedding pet peeve would be a longer than necessary time between the ceremony and reception.

• Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree on not liking  the Corinthians reading (Love is Patient, Love is Kind... etc) and the whole leaving significant others off the head table (we didnt split any couples up for that).

I also agree on the 'jams' or 'jellys' in cake. gross.

I also hate videographers that come around to tables to have you say something to the bride and groom. it's awkward and annoying.

Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    If you don't have a head table, and don't have a sweetheart table... where do you sit? With your family?
  • edited December 2011
    Cash bars- not dry weddings, just cash bars.
    Registries for your honeymoon/cash registries
    Head tables
    Dollar dances
    Tosses
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Have you guys actually been to a wedding with a cash bar or a dollar dance?

I think they are both tacky however I haven't' seen either IRL, so I didn't mention.  
  • edited December 2011
    OH and the cake smushing.  I hate that.  I told FI if he smushed cake in my face I'm going on the honeymoon alone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poll-wedding-pet-peeves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:1afee76f-c033-4a47-9293-92f31ef20809Post:011b30cf-71a1-4a70-9ff0-0bb2fa234b3b">Re: Poll - Wedding Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you guys actually been to a wedding with a cash bar or a dollar dance? I think they are both tacky however I haven't' seen either IRL, so I didn't mention.  
    Posted by NCV2[/QUOTE]

Dollar dance, yes. And I had only ever heard of it on TK and thought it was absurd. It is even more absurd in action, IMO. Aside from being tacky, it takes valuable dancing time away from all the other guests (this one lasted like 4-5 songs)...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    B2B - we had a regular round table for myself and DH, our MOH and her fiance, my other MOH (my sister) and her husband, and DH's sister and her husband (who was also the best man).  We had another round table right next to that with the rest of the bridal party and their dates/husbands/etc.  I don't really like getting split up, though I was split from DH at the last wedding I went to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poll-wedding-pet-peeves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:1afee76f-c033-4a47-9293-92f31ef20809Post:a48f1e9c-115d-4ef2-941f-0d3fda36627f">Re: Poll - Wedding Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll - Wedding Pet Peeves : Dollar dance, yes. And I had only ever heard of it on TK and thought it was absurd. It is even more absurd in action, IMO. Aside from being tacky, it takes valuable dancing time away from all the other guests (this one lasted like 4-5 songs)...
    Posted by Madam A[/QUOTE]

<div>4-5 songs!  That's crazy!</div><div>
    </div><div>Where did the wedding take place?  I never heard of them around the Philadelphia area.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Cara- Oh I gotcha. I only have a moh and bm, so I guess that would be silly to only have 6 ppl at table. i will have a sweetheart table, but I plan on eating fast and getting back up to talk to guests :) 

I have never seen dollar dance or cash bar in person, I think. I know I have never seen or hear of dollar dance until TK, I don't see the point, of people generally give you money in a card anyways....
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poll-wedding-pet-peeves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:1afee76f-c033-4a47-9293-92f31ef20809Post:011b30cf-71a1-4a70-9ff0-0bb2fa234b3b">Re: Poll - Wedding Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you guys actually been to a wedding with a cash bar or a dollar dance? I think they are both tacky however I haven't' seen either IRL, so I didn't mention.  
    Posted by NCV2[/QUOTE]

I went to one with a dollar dance, the bride was from an Italian family and it's common in her family to do those.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_poll-wedding-pet-peeves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:1afee76f-c033-4a47-9293-92f31ef20809Post:3124c1c9-0681-4f68-9afe-595b7cf6c3fb">Re: Poll - Wedding Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't like the Corinthians reading (Love is Patient, Love is Kind... etc)
    Posted by RecoveringActor[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!  Would someone please inform brides getting married in the church that 1) this verse does not relate to marriage-type love at all, and therefore does not fit with the whole wedding thing, 2) Pastors and priests are tired of doing sermons and homilies on this verse, they seriously run out of things to say, 3) there are much more appropriate Scripture passages, relevant to weddings, and 4) if you ask your priest or pastor, they will most definitely help you find one, because they are tired of doing said sermons on this particular Scripture.

Same goes for the "Wedding at Cana/Turning water into wine" Scripture verses.  Again, nothing at all to do with weddings or love.

I cannot stand "here comes the bride".  I think more brides should be a little more creative, since there are so many pieces that would work just as well.  Not to mention I am shocked there are churches that still allow it.
  • edited December 2011
    B2B--what Cara said.  My friend did that for her wedding... and it was really nice.  I can't get Gzilla to agree to it, though.  He REALLY wants a head table.  I'm probably not going to have a significant others table (see the most awkward wedding ever thread) but I have no idea where I'm putting people.  I don't even have invitations yet, so I'm definitely not ready for seating charts.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    i dislike large bridal parties.  you really need a BP consisting of 20+ people?!

ETA: dislike tosses too
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have been to 3 weddings with dollar dances all in this area. 

One, 15 years ago at my sister's wedding (which was doubly weird because she had her reception in the church hall, and the church didn't allow dancing, but they were allowed to do this...how that works in my mind, I can't figure).  Two, 10 years ago at my mom's friend's/church member's wedding.  Three, a year ago at a close HS friend's wedding. 

All of them were awkward, especially because not everyone had money on them.  To be fair though, this last one was not expecting it.  In fact, she didn't want it, and told the DJ no when he asked her about it.  He did it anyway.  And that was not the only issue with the DJ that night (I actually felt really sorry for her, it was that bad).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards