April 2013 Weddings
Options

Seriously!...and a little planning update :)

So Fi has a co-worker who has very...interesting? views on marriage and relationships. This person is not someone he considers a friend, and does not work with him closely at all. He was asking Fi about our engagement and if we had set a date today. Fi told him about it being 4/2013 and this man replied that our wedding would never happen!!! WHAT?!!!!! According to Fi, this man said that I would loose interest in him before that and that he should "lock me in" before I did. Fi is so good at conflict avoidance he just smiled a little and said, "we'll see". Of course Fi knows I am so excited to marry him and that we have valid reasons for waiting that long. He was wondeing why this man would suggest he "lock in" someone who would eventually loose interest in him. I also felt like he was saying that Fi is boring, which he so is not...he's always playing little jokes on me and surprising me in sweet ways. This co-worker is notorius for his views on marriage. He believes a man should always be in charge/head of house hold instead of equal partnerships and that no one should ever get divorced. Famously he suggested that Fi's ex roommate not get a divorce from his lesbian wife. Co-worker did not know the situation or the people involved, much like he doesn't really know Fi or I. It all just kind of blew my mind this morning. Anyway, I'm sure he thinks he's giving helpful advice, as most people do, but I don't understand how anyone could give advice like that in that way about a situation to which they don't have all the details.

Now for the fun part. A little planning update. I know it's really early for all of us, but I'm sure we each have somet things planned out already. Here are the things we have decided on for sure:
-Fi gets to wear jeans at the ceremony. Just him, not the rest of the BP.
-Suits instead of tuxes...it's cheaper and more fitting to our level of formality/informality.
-We will both change into less formal wear for the reception after the first dance, father/daughter, mother/son dance. Different dress for me, and different shirt, no jacket for him.
-Big surprise for everyone that I'm only sharing here: He will have a beard for the ceremony and when we change at the reception he will shave it off. This is totally us and will make people go "huh?!"
-We are doing post-card table numbers from places we've visited as a couple.
-I will be doing the flowers myself (with help), and ordering from Sam's Club
-Four words...Lego Penguin cake topper!
-The flower girl is the granddaughter of a family friend at who's daughter's wedding I was a flower girl over 20 years ago.
-FMIL will be asked to do a slideshow for the reception.
The rest of things I have in my head I have not confirmed with him yet, so they don't really count yet. What have you planned already?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Seriously!...and a little planning update :)

• Options
    Glad to know i'm not the only one with a ton of plans for a wedding over a year from now!

we have venue, photographer, colors, we want a lounge theme next to our dance floor, so many fun things i love wedding planning.  I hope to get the catering choices narrowed soon too.  we're on a tight budget for a So Cal wedding and i think the extra time to plan will also help us keep on budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards