Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Thursday wedding?

So as we all know it's cheaper to get married on any day but Saturday. I found a reception area that is offering a package worth 100 pp for 50 pp. So I don't mind doing a Thursday if it saves me money... But will it be to inconvenient for my guest?

Re: Thursday wedding?

• Options
    It could be.  I would expect a low turnout or at least people only staying for a couple of hours.  If you move forward with this plan, you will need to keep in mind that most people will not get out of work until  5 or 6.  Plan for a later ceremony and a shorter reception. 

I would also clear this with the VIP invites--family, wedding party, close friends.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    Be prepared for the fact that many people may decline because Thursday is not as convenient for most people as the weekend.  Also be aware that many people who do attend will leave early if they need to work the next day, so don't expect to have a long reception with a party atmosphere.  So, there is nothing wrong with a Thursday wedding, but it will generally be more inconvenient for people than a weekend wedding, and large numbers of people may decline.
  • Options
    Yep, I agree with everyone else.  You won't have the party atmosphere that you would likely have on a weekend, and you would need to start your ceremony later.  Your guests will either have to take off work early, or miss the ceremony if you start the ceremony before 6:30-7pm.   Not all guests can or want to do that.  Unless you were a very close friend or immediate family, I would probably decline.   
  • Options
    Depends on your guests (particularly VIPs) and your expectations. We got married on a Wed and it worked out pretty well. We had a 3:30 ceremony followed by a cocktail hour, dinner, and dancing- everything was over by 9 and we saved a TON of money. It can be done but do know your guests and, most importantly, keep your expectations realistic. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Gumby68Gumby68 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    My sister got married on a Thursday, and while she had 100% attendance, there were only 30 guests because it was all family and only 2 friends. I'm not sure anyone invited would have been ok with missing it. It worked out fine, but everyone was commenting on how they were annoyed that they had to take an entire day off work to attend just so she could save a few bucks (the ceremony was at 1pm). 

I would definitely look at the total amount you're saving to see if it is actually worth it. Also, take into account people needing to take off multiple days of work so they can travel (I had to take 3 days off, but I was the only out of town guest). I had been completely ok with her choosing a Thursday to save money until I found out her total savings compared to a Saturday was $450. She admitted she saw the opportunity to save money and jumped at it without thinking it through. 10 years later, she has said she kind of wishes she had done a Saturday because they skipped things like a dj because it was a "work night" and she was right knowing people would leave early because they did. 
  • Options
    It also depends on the time of year.  mid-summer i would think more people would be willing to take friday off to party with you on thursday (i would!). kids would be out of school, so they wouldn't need to be home early either.

that being said - what everyone else said is true.  you'd have to shoot for a late afternoon wedding.  you'd most likely skip a full cocktail hour and opt for a 15-30 minute bridge time for people to mingle/get drinks before you enter the venue. (depending on if the wedding/reception are in the same place or not) . Although you can certainly party til midnight, many guests may leave by 9 or 10.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your opinions.... They are certainly the same doubts and concernsiI've been having. It will actually be a intimate reception of only about 65 ppl, close family and friends. And it will be in august so no kids would miss school. It is a saving of about 3000. A dj friend of ours is actually gonna do the party for free. And if we decide to do it Thursday we would do a 611... This venue gives all the upgrades because it's a Thursday, so I get a cocktail hour with cocktail waitress, full 5 course meal. It just feels like I get more bang for my buck, but I guess I need to carefully review my guest list and make sure everyone important can attend.
  • Options

Its your wedding day, you get to do whatever you want. Those close to you and who really want to be there for you, will be there no matter what. Those are the people you want there anyways right? Besides, if you had a friday wedding, a lot of people would take off from work friday anyways. So have your Thursday wedding, save yourself money and whoever comes, comes. If they need to take off from work thursday, or friday, so be it! It's not like weddings are every week! I'm getting married on a friday at 6 pm. I know people will have to either take off work or leave work early. If they want to be there for us, they will be. If not, then oh well its cheaper for us lol. Good luck!!! Go with your heart!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_thursday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:90602ed6-b567-4af8-9178-52ee825c2364Post:ac80a46d-6b1c-4671-8738-0e6a0462f296">Re:Thursday wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all your opinions.... They are certainly the same doubts and concernsiI've been having. It will actually be a intimate reception of only about 65 ppl, close family and friends. And it will be in august so no kids would miss school. It is a saving of about 3000. A dj friend of ours is actually gonna do the party for free. And if we decide to do it Thursday we would do a 611... This venue gives all the upgrades because it's a Thursday, so I get a cocktail hour with cocktail waitress, full 5 course meal. It just feels like I get more bang for my buck, but I guess I need to carefully review my guest list and make sure everyone important can attend.
    Posted by Scec[/QUOTE]

<div>It sounds like you're covering all your bases, and that is a very nice discount. You're also doing a really nice reception that would be well worth possibly having to miss work. Give yourself a pat on the back for thinking of your guests. Definitely go for it as long as the VIP's can come. </div>
  • Options
    Thanks! Those encouraging words is exactly what I needed to hear. Thursday it is! The wedding is very intamite, about 65 ppl so they are all vip and I think wouldn't mind missing a day for us. Especially since no one has to travel for more than an hour to get here
  • Options
    Thanks! I absolutely am going with my heart and gut. Good luck on your Friday wedding. You will definitely have everyone that cares for you as I know I will too
  • Options
    You may want to check in with anyone who you would be heartbroken if they missed to see if this would be a major problem. Since you are planning on August, if you send save-the-dates out once you book, people have plenty of time to take off of work. Given this much notice, I would probably take a half day Thursday and full day Friday off and consider this a fun long weekend. I know some people might have situations where they can't get off of work, but that can happen on a Saturday, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards