New Jersey
Options

Tomorrow's Snow

Wow - the NYC public schools have already declared they are going to be closed for school tomorrow.  That is quite the rarity.  Wish I could work from home, you know stay off the streets for the good of the city being cleaned Wink

Re: Tomorrow's Snow

• Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw that too. I'm so jealous of teachers to be off tomorrow.

People here are whining and complaining about the snow. I may just be moody today but I'm like really, what can we do right now? We can't change the weather. If our office is open, come in. If it's closed, stay home. If you're scared of big bad snow, take a vaca day.
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    edited December 2011
    UGH its days like this that I wish I was a teacher and got snow days.

I'll either have to brave the snow or take a personal day, I'll see how it looks in the AM.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am definitely complaining, the fact is they don't care if we get injured.  I'm tired of using my PTO's because my company thinks they will make money, they make us come in, they spend money on all the stuff to make the office run, then say "lets have pizza since we now will not let you leave the office because its dangerous"

My first month here it snowed, badly, the parkway was NOT plowed, I had just started so I couldn't use any days, it took me 2 hours to get here, (1/2 hr drive) and I almost spun out every mile on the parkway going slow.

So yes I will complain, they don't give us enough days as it is! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am definitely complaining, the fact is they don't care if we get injured.  I'm tired of using my PTO's because my company thinks they will make money, they make us come in, they spend money on all the stuff to make the office run, then say "lets have pizza since we now will not let you leave the office because its dangerous"

My first month here it snowed, badly, the parkway was NOT plowed, I had just started so I couldn't use any days, it took me 2 hours to get here, (1/2 hr drive) and I almost spun out every mile on the parkway going slow.

So yes I will complain, they don't give us enough days as it is! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    already told my boss I am working from home
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    and yes I did stutter :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Every company should have a snow policy.  Do you have an HR dept you can voice your concerns too?  Theortically they can't demand you be at work ontime....if you were to get into an accident, they would have liability.  Can you go in late....at least miss rush hour and let the plows do their job?
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's already snowing a lot in Columbus!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My old company had a retarded snow policy.  If they closed the office because of snow....but the day before you happened to take a sick day, they would dock you another day because they would say "how do we know u were better and would of come in?"
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    edited December 2011
    Cheryl, you better say something to your boss or talk to HR because that's not fair for you to be forced to drive, unless there is a PT mode to get there.
    I work in the city so there are a few mass transit options for me, that's why I wouldn't have a choice to atleast try to make it in.
    My co blows and doesn't offer home access to work from home.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hope that I will be allowed to work from home. Our DC office has been working from home since Friday! I better be allowed and not have to take sick or vacay day. If it's dangerous out I shouldn't have to take a bus into the city- what normally is 45 minutes has taken upwards of 4 hours to get into work on snow days. It really would be pointless for me to come in. Ugh.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We have snow days, and even if we don't close we can use "our discretion" so we all pretty much know there is no work tomorrow unless a repeat of Saturday happens.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My old company also had a retarded policy:

If the vast majority of the company stayed home, they wouldn't count it against you.

If you stayed home and a good number of poeple came in, they'd charge you a personal day.

So you're basically playing this mind game trying to figure out the decisions of your co-workers.

Currentt company never closes. We're always expected to comoe in, but on a day like tomorrow, I just might either try to work from home (which isn't always possible, since I don't have the right software or access to all the needed files) or take the personal day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm hoping for a snow day. And if it snows as much as they're saying- we might be off Thursday as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our policy is this

If its weather keeps you from getting to work on time, or having to leave early, your boss can help you make arrangements to make up the hours, but its all by manager discretion and HR does not get involved.  HR tries to ignore everything to be honest.

Its pretty funny b/c of the message that is left on the weather line, basically saying they are open, but to be careful and if you feel you cannot make it to work safe, you are allowed to take a PTO.

My thing is they are really good with letting us leave early, but the storm is suppose (I still say suppose) to be worse middle of the day, blizzard conditions, thats when they would let us go.

We'll see what happens, if I don't feel safe, I will come back home, PTO or no PTO, it just sucks we are required to use our own and they don't care that much about our safety.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work in the city and take the bus. FI said if there is a state of emergency tomorrow, bus services might be shut down??? Not sure what out PTO policy is when it comes to snow, but my boss already told me to stay home.

Even if I attempted to come to work, it would take me 3 hours and it just isn't worth the aggravation. Ugh I hate snow!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My work is open tomorrow.  They are always open.  They have a weather number to call and it just says "Work is open.  It is snowing.  Please drive carefully."  The number is a waste.  My boss is really nice and will let us work from home.  He doesnt even care when i come in late as long as I do my 40 hours for the week.  I live in the mountains so many times I call saying i will be late and there isnt even snow at my office.  He is still cool with it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also work in the city and take mass transit, but I no longer walk to the train station and have to drive 20 minutes to get to the station.  If I feel that I am not capable of making it in then I am not coming in.  Dock me how you feel like it...I really do not care.  The fact that my company will not allow you to work from home on days like what tomorrow is suppossed to be is complete horse sh*t in my opinion. 

I am not putting my life or my unborn childs life in any danger. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup we have the snow line and it always says we are open.  Since I am in Hoboken I guess I'll have to Path it tomorrow instead of the bus because that's a nightmare.  It's pretty ridiculous since I can actually do all of my work from home.  Money grubbing ceo's
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're always open too... I guess that's what happens when you work at a hospital :) But I am very thankful for an awesome boss. My commute is never dependable and he really doesn't care what time I come or go as long as I get my stuff done.

But honestly, kind of a PITA to have to take PTO for something you cannot control.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree rlb, all my sales reps already told me (including 2 out of 3 of my bosses, one is at another site today) that they are working from home tomorrow.   So since I am not allowed to work from home with this company, I have to come in.

RLB I agree on the pita to take a personal day.  I guess its the work force and as I am told constantly "you should be lucky you have a job"....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Let's all just not go in!
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I deleted my post bc I don't trust that I don't have work lurkers...basically no closure and we must use pto if the roads are bad
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My school district where I work called off school for tomorrow at 3pm. Some parents thought I was kidding
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's official- I'm working from home unless we don't get any snow. Wahoo!
    *~allie~*

• Options
    DS0305DS0305 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our company already sent out an email to everyone in the tri-state area about the storm and to make sure you're prepared and ready to work from home or take a PTO.

Working from home is such a great thing, but when it snows it doesn't matter if the office has to close, since we can still work since we have our computers at home!  So I'll never have off on a snow day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't mind working from home, even if I did it wouldn't count because unless I'm away on business, not in the office means pto unless closed by the company.
  • Options
    chrissy31805chrissy31805 member
    edited December 2011
    i think my school district is the only one that hasn't called school yet... waiting for the very last minute, which will probably mean i will get a call about 4 in the morning
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work for a large Financial Services company in HR and they did not communicate anything to us! Some managers told people not to come in, but mine didn't really say anything. I think I can make it in, but maybe not out as most of the snow is supposed to come during the day...
  • Options
    Partymixx27Partymixx27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our company actually is closing its doors tomorrow, and I'm pretty shocked about that.  I think it's so messed up that some companies force their employees to either come in or take a PTO day!  For all you ladies venuturing in tomorrow, at least wait until most of the rush hour is over with go in late, they can't do squat to you.  I hear it's supposed to get worse as the day goes on so mabye they'll let you go early.  Which means it becomes completely pointless to go in the first place.  The corporate world sucks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards