New York-New York City
Options

Brooklyn Botanical Gardens

I am looking for a unique venue for my wedding and I came across the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. It looks absolutely perfect from the pictures but since I was unable to visit the venue and my fiance was in NYC for the week, he checked it out and said it wasn't great -- the area surrounding the venue was questionable, regular BBG visitors would be leaving as visitors are arriving, the greenhouse was unimpressive in person, and a few others. I'm so surprised he had such a different experience than what the pictures portray!

Has anyone ever looked into this venue or been to a wedding here and can offer your perspective?

Thank you!

Re: Brooklyn Botanical Gardens

• Options
     I have only been there for education events but the greenhouse is pretty amazing, especially at night. The Brooklyn Museum is up the block and also a beautiful site ( great for some extra photo ops!) The area by the garden and the park and the museum is very safe. Brooklyn is a bit intimidating- to the east of the museum it is a bit different than Manhattan. I am a native NYer (Manhattanite) and wouldnt pass up the garden as a venue. You are very lucky to be able to have your day there!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_brooklyn-botanical-gardens?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:114Discussion:18bfed9e-c669-46a7-9fb7-159d86bdd349Post:65e6d099-d7d1-4d15-9907-6e2c614683d9">Brooklyn Botanical Gardens</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am looking for a unique venue for my wedding and I came across the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. It looks absolutely perfect from the pictures but since I was unable to visit the venue and my fiance was in NYC for the week, he checked it out and said it wasn't great -- the area surrounding the venue was questionable, regular BBG visitors would be leaving as visitors are arriving, the greenhouse was unimpressive in person, and a few others. I'm so surprised he had such a different experience than what the pictures portray! Has anyone ever looked into this venue or been to a wedding here and can offer your perspective? Thank you!
    Posted by anree[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I visited the gardens a few years ago and they were setting up for a wedding.  It was only about half done while I was near the greenhouse and was breathtaking.  I wouldn't shoot it down as a possibility.
  • Options
    We visited over 10 venues in nyc and BBG was one of them.  It is a beautiful venue but for some reason, my fiance (and I) were not very impressed.  He also thinks the area is questionable and he lived in Brooklyn for many years.  He disliked that you had to walk around the (questionable) street from the parking lot (which is $10/guest) to get to the gardens (ie that it's not on site).  The food I read is mediocre but you're really going for the ambiance.  The prices are very good by Manhattan standards.  I really like the outdoor options for the ceremony in the gardens on the lawn (except heels on lawn = bad); cocktails by the ponds and the reception inside the glass house.  They built another hall for smaller weddings on the side of the gardens, so you could potentially see another bride at the same time.  Maybe it was because we visited in march when there was no greenery, but my fiance was not sold.  Also, the owner charles was very impatient.  That said, if you decide to book I'm sure you'll have a beautiful wedding! They do book up very fast (must be the pricing?) and they only have one Saturday evening left from April - October 2013 at the palm house.  

You should also check out the Garden Terrace space at NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx.  My fiance and I preferred that location (though I like the aesthetics of the glass house and the lily ponds more).  They have better food but are a lot more expensive.  If it wasn't so far for our guests from NJ, we would seriously consider it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards