Maine

Where to have ceremony/wedding in Maine??

I really want to get married by the water (beach or lake, doesn't matter). Any ideas of where I can have the wedding ceremony and reception and not pay thousands of dollars? Basically I wish I could do it in my backyard, but there's not enough room! I was thinking of some place FREE like Fort Halifax in Winslow....but I'd like other ideas. I'm looking anywhere from Bangor, Waterville, to Portland areas. Thank you!

Re: Where to have ceremony/wedding in Maine??

• We are getting married at Joseph's By the Sea in Old Orchard Beach.  Right by the water, great venue to work with, and very affordable.
  • Thanks for the idea, I have it bookmarked! I just wish I didn't have to pay for a place to have it at. I wish I could just find a public place to have a cookout pretty much! But with 70+, that may be a little challenging...
  • Has anybody been to Winslow Park in Freeport? Would that be good?
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    If you don't need to have alcohol, Fort Williams has a picnic area you can reserve.  I had my ceremony there, but you could totally do the whole wedding there and have a cookout as long as you don't have alcohol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_where-to-have-ceremonywedding-in-maine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:770b3a33-4159-4021-96e1-687cb6be3c5dPost:8c1f2a44-6971-4883-935a-12e41dfcd3e9">Winslow Park in Freeport?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anybody been to Winslow Park in Freeport? Would that be good?
    Posted by babymama007[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, it is beautiful!  We had a BBQ there the day before our ceremony (tons of out-of-town guests).  I think the picnic shelters are $100-150 to rent (each, but you should only need 1 for 70 people), and I suggest you arrange in advance to cover the parking fee for your guests.  If you want alcohol, there are some extra steps, and I think you have to hire an off-duty police officer to be there--we didn't have alcohol.  </div><div>
    </div><div>The park is really lovely.  We had food out throughout the afternoon and people came and were sitting by the water, DH got a game of volleyball going, and kids were playing on the playground.  I think you could definitely make it more formal, though, and still have the beautiful scenery.  Let me know if you have more questions about it.  I got married almost a year ago so I'm not that active here anymore, but I will try to check back here.</div>
  • That would be PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!
  • Thank you for the great information! We're trying to spend as little as possible, but at least we have options! I just want to get our families together to celebrate and have fun...and that would be fun! Thanks!
  • Thank you for the great information! We're trying to spend as little as possible, but at least we have options! I just want to get our families together to celebrate and have fun...and that would be fun! Thanks!
  • edited May 2012
    FYI, we did most of the process by calling the number on Winslow Park's website--they were really slow to respond to email.  Hope it works out for you!

ETA: You should also look at Wolfe Neck State Park in Freeport (across the inlet from Winslow Park).  You can put up a tent on the water there, if you wanted to spend a little more--the picnic shelters at Winslow Park are not right on the water, although obviously you can still see it.
  • babymama007babymama007 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    <div>Great, thanks! :) That helps a lot!</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_where-to-have-ceremonywedding-in-maine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:770b3a33-4159-4021-96e1-687cb6be3c5dPost:ac2f4ca0-cdb5-43b8-be6d-34041ef65c39">Re: Where to have ceremony/wedding in Maine??</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI, we did most of the process by calling the number on Winslow Park's website--they were really slow to respond to email.  Hope it works out for you! ETA: You should also look at Wolfe Neck State Park in Freeport (across the inlet from Winslow Park).  You can put up a tent on the water there, if you wanted to spend a little more--the picnic shelters at Winslow Park are not right on the water, although obviously you can still see it.
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]
  • Great, thanks! :) That helps a lot!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards