Texas-Houston
Options

Budget...overboard??

Hi Knotties,

So, here is my situation which is kinda stressing me out.  Right now we are scheduled to have around 100 guests at our wedding.  Well, my FI just informed me that we might need to up our guest list because his mom has started inviting more people than we had originally planned for.  And with more guests, that means more money for food, drinks, table decorations etc.  By adding...oh I don't know...lets say 30 people...that ups our budget by like $5K (guesstimate)!!  He asked me what I think...and I told him "YOU MAKE THE DECISION".  I don't want it to come down to us having disagreements on money spending for the wedding and I have been doing a really good job of staying within our means.  Any advice Knotties???  I know we were bound to go over budget...but how much is too much??

Re: Budget...overboard??

• Options
    loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think adding 30 guests and making budget increase by $5,000 is a lot. Adding one or two people is okay but going over budget by thousands is too much in my opinion. We too are having 100 guests and it was hard since I have a big family but we chose the closest friends/family and sticking to the 100 guest maximum. It's not okay for your FI's mom to add guests to the list unless she plans to pay for them. If you and FI are planning and paying for wedding, that means only you TWO should make the decisions. It's okay to listen to recommendations and accomodate if possible but you have the ultimate decision.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yep - id think it depends on who's paying for what. if she's gonna foot the bill for it...who cares? if your parents are paying for it...put a stop to it. if you and FI are paying for it... you'll have to talk about it together.
    Becca & Justin - 5/16/09 - Planning Bio My Blog(updated 3/12)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is not his mother's wedding.
    FI needs to talk to his mother. Your guest list is set and your budget is set. If his mom wants to invite 30 more ppl... she need to cough up the money. Seriously this is not a block party.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WOW who is paying for it!?!?!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nobody is paying for it but ME and HIM!!  :(
  • Options
    nikkitynaknikkitynak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're paying for it yourself, you have the authority to step on the guest list and cap it off at whatever you please.  If you only want 100 guests, keep it there.  The other 30 people can come to some kind of extra party or just let it go.
  • Options
    casweddingcaswedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say stick to 100 or ask her to help pay!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs...going from 100 to 130 is close to a 25-30% increase which is a lot. I would say a 5-10% increase would be okay, but anything more than that is considered a lot in my opinion. It alters a lot of the other items you've already planned for (ex. food servings, drinks, centerpieces). I would talk to your FI about this and see what he thinks as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone!  I will keep you posted on what happens regarding this budget overload.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When my friend got married, her mother started to invite all the family back in France. When her IL's found out, they started inviting their extended family. My friend and her husband told their parents they couldn't afford extra guests... my friend's mom and her husband's parents agreed to pay for any guests they invited. Is that a possible proposal?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards