Wedding Party

Need some help

My fiance and I are planning on having a smaller wedding of about 125 people invited.  I have only asked 2 close friends as of now for the bridal partyand he has only asked his best man.  He really wants 4 close friends and then I have 3 brothers (ages 30, 35, and 40), who I would love to have stand up, but that means 7 groomsmen.  I then want 3 close friends and his sister who is 23.  He then has a younger sister that is 15.  So, we have 5 total girls and 7 total guys that we don't really know what to do with.  I know we can have an odd amount on each side, which I am pretty sure is what we will end up doing, but I think that is a big bridal party for having a smaller wedding.  I also know that it is our wedding and we can do whatever we want :) but some help or opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks ladies!!!!

Re: Need some help

• It is a bit of a large party, IMO, but if it works for you, then it works.

Ages shouldn't matter, FYI.  And wedding parties can be mixed-gender.  You can have your brothers, and he can have his sisters, which might even things out, or might not - I'm a little fuzzy on the people you've got up there.

Being a guest is an honor.  So is reading at the ceremony.  If you'd rather not have as large a party, you can have a couple people do readings as well.
  • I don't think your bridal party would be ridiculously large with 12 total people. I totally get wanting to keep things small, but if you want to ask all these people then ask them. I've been to similar-sized weddings with more than 12 total attendants, for what it's worth.

If you want to stick with the three you've asked already, then that's fine too. Leave it at that, and if people ask (which is rude of them) just explain that you want to keep things small. The other people can enjoy themselves as guests, and maybe a few can do readings if you want.

If you decide to go with all 12 people, maybe it'd help keep things more low-key if you just choose a dress designer in their price range, then pick a length/color/fabric and let them pick out their own dresses. Keep the flowers simple to save money (maybe daisies, plain roses, carnations), and if they all have a ride then you could always skip the limo. And have a sweetheart table at the reception for you and FI, and the bridal party and their dates can sit amongst the guests with people they know.
  • I definitely do not think that the WP is too large for a 125 guest wedding.  I have been to a wedding with that amount of guests and they had a WP of like 20.  Have who you want in your WP.

Oh and IMO, I don't consider 125 guest wedding a small wedding...that is probably an average size.

• you have lots of options - you can definitely go mixed-gender and have your siblings stand on your own side, but I'd also consider maybe having your siblings be ushers or do readings and then have the 7 friends you want be your BP.  You can do whatever you want, and having all 12 is fine if you want it that way, but coming from someone who let her own BP get way bigger than originally desired (20 people total w/ kids and ushers) really think about it before you ask them.  It gets expensive quick!

• tuckhmtuckhm member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    We will have 6 bridesmaids and 6 groomsmen for about a 100-110 guest wedding.  It never even crossed my mind that it was too many people for our size wedding.  We both just asked the people who we are closest to, and it happened to be 12 people.  I say just ask the people you want to stand up there with you, and don't worry about proportions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards